Vodkaman

Triple Point Hunting Theory – the Wild Thing

6 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Very Australian style.

Dave

I find the thin banana style make good trolling cranks. 

My designs really vary depending on what I am building for but lean towards minnow shape vs short fat shad shape because of the forage fish in BC and Alberta 

I finally got a response to my emails and have agreed a price for the 3D print, so things are finally moving along again.

I have done several more tweaks to the mold design to help with the demolding operation. The problem is that the mold material will be a hard filler type rather than a silicone, brand name San Polac, similar to Bondo filler. The reason for this is that I cannot get a silicone stiff enough locally, the thin walls of the lure body collapse under the lightest clamping pressure. Postal is out of the question due to excessive import taxes and general corruption.

This means that I am breaking the basic rule of casting; hard cast, soft mold.

I have added a 5 degree draft angle to every surface including the front face of the lip. I have also added tabs that I can grip with pliers to pull/lever with, and several wedge slots to help with the initial parting.

I think I have done all I can, this is going to be stressful. But if it works, the mold material is very cheap compared to silicone.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

I finally got a response to my emails and have agreed a price for the 3D print, so things are finally moving along again.

I have done several more tweaks to the mold design to help with the demolding operation. The problem is that the mold material will be a hard filler type rather than a silicone, brand name San Polac, similar to Bondo filler. The reason for this is that I cannot get a silicone stiff enough locally, the thin walls of the lure body collapse under the lightest clamping pressure. Postal is out of the question due to excessive import taxes and general corruption.

This means that I am breaking the basic rule of casting; hard cast, soft mold.

I have added a 5 degree draft angle to every surface including the front face of the lip. I have also added tabs that I can grip with pliers to pull/lever with, and several wedge slots to help with the initial parting.

I think I have done all I can, this is going to be stressful. But if it works, the mold material is very cheap compared to silicone.

Dave

Good luck!

• Thanks 1