Jimmyjigs

Any tricks to keep deer hair in place?

Follow the previous advice but first when you buy the jig Check to see if the thread has been clear coated where it was tied. Then a day or so before you use it . Spread the hair out to expose the shank of the hook. Put a couple drops of clear coat (clear nail polish will work) at the base of the tie on the hook shank. Allow it to soak towards the head on the interior. This should increase the longevity of your lure . Except for the fish with teeth. Then it's just a matter of how many descriptive adjectives it takes you to calm down.

Not sure if it will help.  Just to add a few ideas...

I add hair in layers, adding a few half hitches or whip finish and cover the thread with hard as nails between layers.  My thought has been that even if some of the jig falls apart some may not.

I have also found if I am using heavier thread (for me it has been kevlar thread) i have a tendancy to break the hair shaft somewhat and it falls apart from time to time.  

A penetrating clear coat or head cement will hold it in place better, make sure its liquid and runny type and not UV epoxy or such that will just sit on the surface.. it needs to get down between the hairs and lock them all together. 

But first, be sure you are using quality bucktail and some high strength thread so you can tie it on reasonably tight, cheap tails will sometimes break when you tie tight. You can condition them with just regular hair conditioner (for humans) but be very careful that you do not get it so soft that it breaks easily. We used to soak our walleye bucktails (already tied) in shampoo with conditioner to soften the hair and make it flow better, but it also works good to do before you tie so the material is easier to work with. Takes a lot of the grease/oils off of it too that allows it to slip out from under thread, I shampoo all of my squirrel tails.. you wouldn't believe the action they have in the water after that oil is removed. I condition by squiring some shampoo with conditioner (or just conditioner) in a bowl of warm (not hot) water and mix it up real well. I soak the hair in there for 4-5 minutes or so then rinse in the sink to remove all of the shampoo. Then hang to dry so the hair is hanging natural, after a few minutes hit it with a hair dryer to fluff it so to speak so it isn't clumped up.. however the hair dries is how its going to stay so make sure its straight, even bucktail and deer/elk hair. 

• Thanks 1

To keep the bucktail hair in place while tying.

In addition to all the great comments.

1. First prep the area where the hair will go with a little super glue (gel works best but any will do).

This helps to bond the thread in the next step and prevents the finished product from moving or spinning.

2. Next put down a layer of thread. This gives the hair something to bite into.

3. Tie some hair on a small clump at a time until you are happy with results, then whip finish (as anyfish mentioned).

4. Coat the threads for protection as previously mentioned and your done.

Thread: Flat Waxed Nylon works best for me. If you don't want to buy many colors stick with white and color it with markers before you coat the threads.

• Like 1