SouthBelleGroveOutdoors

Brass spoon crafting

Hi, A buddy of mine goes fishing up north for pike.  He is using a brass and silver spoon that works well but the tackle maker passed away taking his secrets to his craft with him.  My buddy asked if I could recreate some for him.

To the best of my knowledge, it appears the metal is 28 gauge brass with silver foil covering half the spoon.  That's the easy part.  What I want to know is how do I get the brass to keep it's cupped form?  Is there a heat treatment that would keep it from being malleable?

Also, any thoughts on cutting sheet metal, shaping and bending spoons?  TIA

You have to anneal the brass before working the shape. Google 'annealing brass', lots of good articles on the subject.

The act of working the brass automatically hardens the brass, so you may have to anneal several times while working the shape.

Here is a excerpt:

' The process of hardening and annealing brass is exactly the reverse of that used with steel. Brass is hardened when it is heated and allowed to cool slowly ; it is softened or annealed when heated and cooled suddenly. When annealing brass, care should be taken that it is evenly heated throughout and that it is evenly cooled.'

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  I'll try annealing.  As far as buying the spoons, yes it would be much easier.  Supposedly nobody has figured out how to replicate the spoon.  It is very thin and light.  If annealing is needed, I would imagine that newbie tackle crafters haven't figured it out and don't know about Tackle Underground!