Brick Steel

D2T vs BSI 30 minute epoxies

After they are cured, I think the differences among various brands and types of epoxy used as clearcoats are very minor.  Most of the differences concern how the epoxies are applied and cured, not their mechanical characteristics (strength, clarity, resilience, hardness, and waterproofness) after they are cured. 

So for me I've only had success with the BSI. I tried envirotex and also some other epoxy which was promoted on this site (cant remember the name), and have had nothing but problems with rippling, running and other issues, I use a turner. I've been chomping at the chance to get out and test these lures to check the action of the bait in the water. The finish of the BSI is great it just doesn't last very long when applying even for a 30 min. epoxy. I've added glitter to the epoxy also which turns out great, so I intend on sticking with BSI unless the lures action just completely goes away and then it'll be back to the drawing board

20190210_215808.jpg

Those baits look great!  I think that BSI is far more durable than the finish on retail baits.  All the baits that I've done seem to run fine with BSI epoxy.  I had some DT-6s which seemed a little heavy (almost neutrally buoyant) but I think that was the blank more than the finish.  I do usually thin the epoxy with  very little denatured alcohol. It helps it to go on a little better and maybe makes it a little less bulky on the bait.  

I have used D2T , BSI and E-tex for clearcoating jigs. I have never had any problems with any of them. D2T and BSI seem identical to me as far as application and weight. They also have a slight amber color to them. If I you want the brightest of whites, I use E-tex. It originally mixes a little runny, but if you wait 10 minutes it gets a bit thicker.

• Like 1