Highdesertfishing

Very first baits

Thanks to everyone that helped me with the few questions I had before starting.

Got round tonight to actually give it a whirl. For my very first time I feel like I did pretty good! Did black with gold and blue flake with a chartruese tail. Had a little extra black so shot a round of just black too.

I could use with a bit more chartruese coloring next round. It looked good in the Pyrex but a little too clear after actually pouring. I REALLY need better lighting in my garage. Think I stirred a little too agressively on some with the chartruese as well.

But I didn't burn myself, suffocate, break anything, and the garage is still standing, and these will definitely fish, so I'm calling it a success! 

20190302_210312-01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking baits.

That might be as good as it gets for your chartreuse. You might be able to get it a little brighter with additional drops of colorant but it will still be transparent. If you want it more translucent you will probably have to add a drop of white or couple drops of yellow to take away the transparency. 

I picked up a couple LED shop lights from Lowes for my work benches. It made a huge improvement in my lighting issues.

Nice first baits!

I have to say, at least your first attempt turned out the way you wanted!  :)

My first attempt was to make something smoke colored but I used to much black and ended up with grey. Lol

That said, what I made on that very first attempt is catching fish and now has a name of its own so don't let your mistakes get you down. Some of my mistakes are my best work. B)

And....Welcome to our hobby. 

2 hours ago, Highdesertfishing said:

Thanks everyone! Continued on today with some green watermelon with black and red flake. Also tried the heat gun trick for some extra shine. The heat gun is gonna take some practice. It goes from nothing is happening to a smooth blob pretty darn quick haha. Most still came out ok.

20190303_200105-01.jpeg

Those would KILL on our river.  Nice job!!

Today tried laminate style baits using aluminum foil. Turned out pretty good! Tried the green watermelon with chartruese and that didn't look as good, not enough contrast between the two (at least until I get some white to mix with chartruese as suggested) but black on chartruese and black on green watermelon turned out well enough.

20190304_184054-01.jpeg

• Like 2