Canga~

Large injector

I have been searching around to find a good “large” sized injector. I have 2 6oz basstackle injectors and they are great, but when I want to shoot a bunch of molds, say a doit midwest finesse, 3” skinny carrot and pretty much any other mold, I can’t get all 3 with the 6oz. I have looked at all the sites I can think of and haven’t seen much over 6oz. 

Is there anyone out there currently making a quality 8-10oz injector with a locking pin? I have seen the doit one and it does have a pin just don’t know anything else about their injectors.

We've got some custom ones that were made quite a few years ago. These were made using a SMC pneumatic air cylinders & hold around 28oz. There's a guy on Facebook that's now making injectors with the locking pin all the way up to 24oz.  You might want to get on one of the bait making pages & look him up.

DSC00705.JPG

I have a Basstackle 10oz injector but prefer using the 6oz Twinjector when I need that much plastic, even when it is only one color. Just fill both up with the same color. The 10oz one in long and cools fast so getting a lot of usable plastic is a trick in itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

I have a Basstackle 10oz injector but prefer using the 6oz Twinjector when I need that much plastic, even when it is only one color. Just fill both up with the same color. The 10oz one in long and cools fast so getting a lot of usable plastic is a trick in itself. 

I have 3 total injectors, a 3 oz, and a 6 oz twin. I can shoot a Baitjunky's Ned (6 cavity), 2 Basstackle 4.5" punch craws (2 cavity each), a 4 cavity fluke, 4 cavity 7" ribbon tail, and one of my pair of single cavity frogs. I've been taking the twin apart and using them singly just because they are easier to use separated but I'm going to try leaving it together and see if I can't shoot that second frog too.

2 hours ago, Apdriver said:

Can’t you shoot a few and suck up more plastic then shoot some more?

Yes but...you know that plug you always push out when you're done? It gets bigger every time. (I wonder how hard it would be to push out a plug that fills half the injector?)

That said, I've done it albeit infrequently and only one refill each time. Each time I did it the plug was significantly larger than if I hadn't refilled. It probably wouldn't take to many refills to make refilling pointless. 

I could refill each of my 3 injectors until the plug took up to much space before setting them aside and I'd certainly be able to shoot more molds in a run that way. How many more? That's hard to say since I haven't tried. :)

*Edit* When I did do it, I first evacuated any remaining hot plastisol back into the measuring cup and then refilled the injector.

Edited by Elf

It’s pretty easy to do multiple shots. Heat your plastic in a microwave, use a hot plate on 400 degrees to set your Pyrex full of plastic on to keep it up to temp while you are working. I like to preheat my injector with a propane torch but you can use the hot plate, also. Shoot your molds until you need more plastic and reach over and fill your injector again as needed. When you demold, evacuate your injector into the Pyrex like you normally do and just set the injector down in your heated plastic. It will keep your injector hot while you demold. Keep working until you’re out of plastic and need to reheat your sprues or make more fresh plastic. I do the same thing with my presto pots but when I want to work in smaller quantities the hot plate works well. Mine is actually a fondue pot I bought for 3 bucks at the second hand shop. 

If you need to see it done one of our members has made a set of YouTube videos that shows him doing multiple shots with a twin injector. Probably with a single too but with a quick review of some of his videos saw him workin a twin with multiple injections and eighteen molds. You can do the same with a single injector. Search franksrooty2 on YouTube for his excellent instructional videos.

• Thanks 1

Too me it just seems easier to use a bigger injector, fill the molds I’m using and clean it out while I demold. I don’t have a big production setup, and no presto yet. Perhaps I’m way off base on that but I’m probably going to buy one of the 8 or 12oz injectors from Facebook to at least try it out

On 3/4/2019 at 6:11 AM, BuckeyeFishing said:

If you get on the facebook group "soft plastic bait makers supply group" there is a guy selling injectors from 4 oz. to 20 oz. They look pretty decent and the price isn't bad, 8 oz $65 and 12 oz is $85

I ended up getting the 12oz from him (quality injector and more on fb). Got it yesterday and it’s awesome, only got a chance to play with it a little last night, but it’s very smooth, dual locking pins, dual orings on the plunger, very smooth action. I will say that it had a lot of dust, I assume from manufacturing, in it when I got it, but ran some worm oil through it a few times, cleaning the plunger and tube out each time, and no big deal.

it was around 26 degrees last night, I did have a propane forces air heater going, but the injector heated up quick and stayed hot, most of the time the plug on the inside was less than half an inch thick, even putting 8oz in.

this is the 12 oz next to a 6oz basstackle, not much difference in length and it’s pretty easy to use, so far pretty happy with the purchase!

ECF6F3D7-6E24-48D1-ACDA-2F3483C1EF20.jpeg

Edited by Canga~
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Canga~ said:

I ended up getting the 12oz from him (quality injector and more on fb). Got it yesterday and it’s awesome, only got a chance to play with it a little last night, but it’s very smooth, dual locking pins, dual orings on the plunger, very smooth action. I will say that it had a lot of dust, I assume from manufacturing, in it when I got it, but ran some worm oil through it a few times, cleaning the plunger and tube out each time, and no big deal.

it was around 26 degrees last night, I did have a propane forces air heater going, but the injector heated up quick and stayed hot, most of the time the plug on the inside was less than half an inch thick, even putting 8oz in.

this is the 12 oz next to a 6oz basstackle, not much difference in length and it’s pretty easy to use, so far pretty happy with the purchase!

ECF6F3D7-6E24-48D1-ACDA-2F3483C1EF20.jpeg

Awesome, nice to hear they are a quality injector