pat28

Mold making with Smooth On product

Hi everyone, 

With 12-ft, near record snowbanks here in Quebec, I need to make the spring come by starting the luremaking process for the coming season. I need to make myself one or two silicone molds for large soft plastic swimbaits and am looking at the impressive lineup of Smooth On products. I just cannot figure out which one would be appropriate. Mold Max seems to be okay, but it exists in about ten versions, and I am lost. 

I know many of you use this company's products. Would you have any advice for me as to which one I should buy?

Thanks for your help! 

Pat

I use many of their products. I have used moldstar 30 quit a bit, easy to use but a bit softer then I like, and it’s pricey. In all the lines the higher the number ie. moldstar 30 the “harder” they are, they list them in durameter. It depends on what you want to cast, as silicone interacts with the tin cure silicone and won’t cure. Platinum cure doesn’t react to anything. I recommend to anyone using smooth on to contact Reynolds advanced materials, they deal and use smooth on and are super knowledgeable. Plus if they are close they have stuff made you can touch and play with. 

Ryan 

Platinum cure is actually testier and more prone to not curing - plastisol, alcohol will inhibit cure as will freshly coated epoxy. 

However, it is the best silicone and lasts longest. 

MoldStar30 is what I use - wooden masters lightly sprayed with krylon crystal clear. 

Put a thin coating on your bait, then wait 10-15 minutes and pour a thin high stream into the corner of the mold box - this helps minimize bubbles. 

Silicon molds typically need a couple pours of plastisol each session before they start to come out shiny and dent free. Just remedy the first pours and mix in with new plastisol. 

Moldmax30 will work too if you are using plastisol baits to make your mold. 

• Thanks 1