mifon

"Copperhead" Powder Paint and other unusual colors

Quite a while ago, someone on this forum shared a powder paint that looked to be "cracked"in its dried form resulting in a brownish, veined finish similar to a "Copperhead". I have exchanged PM's with Cadman and have verified it was not him. I would like to find this powder paint, or others, to try. I am looking for colors that are still nature-like, but different from the norm and standard colors used on jig heads and spinner baits. If you have any colors you would suggest (and especially if you know of or have the "Copperhead" color) please share it and the source where one might obtain it.

Thanks

Mifon

Nashville TN

6 minutes ago, Munkin said:

https://www.columbiacoatings.com/products/powders/textures-veins

I think this is what you are looking for.

Allen

Thanks, Allen. That's very interesting.

As it turns out, Columbia Coatings is only 45 minutes from my house! I'll have to look into what they have. Looks like they are set up for industrial powder coating operations. I wonder if they would sell to a hobbyist?

Mike

3 minutes ago, mifon said:

I'll have to pay them a visit and find out exactly what they have!!!!! A pound would last me forever. I might be willing to swap some with others..................

Mike

I have some I could trade but they are all basic colors.

Allen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Wetline said:

Go here:

https://www.tjstackle.com/

Click on Powder Paint then go to "Crinkle Colors." I particularly like their crinkle copper which I get in 1 oz. containers.

They also say they'll custom mix colors.

I've found both their products and service to be excellent.

These look really good also! Just wondering, do these Crinkle Colors require any extra attention in applying or curing?

Thanks

Mike

2 hours ago, mifon said:

These look really good also! Just wondering, do these Crinkle Colors require any extra attention in applying or curing?

Thanks

Mike

Mike, I haven't noticed any difference in application, but there is a label on the jar that says, "Cure at 400º for 10 minutes. I can't do that because I cast a bismuth/tin alloy that melts at 395º.

Cured at 325º for an hour, I can whack a head against my bench vise and not see any evidence of abuse.

In the photo below, the color of the football is TJ's Crinkle Copper and the naked Poison Tail is Crinkle Penny.

IMG_3400-M.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Wetline said:

Mike, I haven't noticed any difference in application, but there is a label on the jar that says, "Cure at 400º for 10 minutes. I can't do that because I cast a bismuth/tin alloy that melts at 395º.

Cured at 325º for an hour, I can whack a head against my bench vise and not see any evidence of abuse.

In the photo below, the color of the football is TJ's Crinkle Copper and the naked Poison Tail is Crinkle Penny.

IMG_3400-M.jpg

Only thing I have to add to this is those baits look great.

Allen

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mifon said:

Thanks

Mike

When you paint a jig with it and you see all one color, don't get excited. The first time I used gold veined paint I was disappointed as the jigs looked like plain gold. I figured they were painted so I'll cure them and maybe add some GP or watermelon and make roadkill out of it. Well after I took them out of the oven they looked great, and so don't judge your jig until after it is cured, that is when the veins really come out.

• Like 3