MarkR

Use of clevis pins in lexan crankbait lips

I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using rivet pins for the line attachment in deep dive crankbaits with Lexan bills, I will be using 5mm Lexan.

I posted a while back about setting out on making some wood musky lures and got some great advice. Unfortunately life has gotten in the way since that post and I have had to change my strategies to try and get the production line back up and running. IMO rivet pins whould be great for testing new lure designs as they allow for a quick change of tie location. My concern is whether the Lexan will hold up if a big fish grabs the bait.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Benton, if garolite holds it I would think the lexan can handle it. Only one way to find out. If you don't mind me asking, how do you lock the pin into the lip? I would assume you open the pin up on the bottom of the lip with the loop out the top. Have you noticed any issues with the garolite lips delaminating/breaking if you bang the lure off rocks as composites are susceptable to impact.

I use a long cotter pin that runs the length of lip back into the bait.  I drill a small hole at the bottom of the lip slot for the cotter pin to fit under the lip slot.  Once the lip is epoxied in place the cotter pin is set and will not come loose.   Circuit board material will wear down in time if you are cranking rocks.  

• Like 1