jkid19

chrome and gold

So looking to find out what brand paint you guys are using to airbrush chrome. Has anyone tried to spaz stix brand paint. Also looking to paint in gold, not metallic gold but more of a shiny gold like on a rattle trap. Also is there any additive needed for the paint other then a reducer. Are you guys spraying, dipping, what is your method?

Edited by jkid19

Unfortunately, you are about to start a very hard and very frustrating search.  With few, if no exceptions, you can paint excellent chrome or metallic gold but the clear coat kills it.  The paint by itself will not hold up well enough.

Platting is expensive, but is the standard in the industry.

Some of us are experimenting with foils, and on the right lure, with the right technique, the results are fantastic.  

Some of us are using glitter type paint if you will (http://www.airbrush.com/AA-Aluminum-Base-Coat-Fine-4oz/productinfo/162645/) and I find it gives pretty good results, but sure not a good chrome.

Full disclosure, I am a hobbyist, not a "professional" so perhaps there is something that I missed, or something someone else had held back, but.........

Technology is always improving so maybe this is the thread that will capture it.

Has anyone tried to spaz stix brand paint?  Yep, had wonderful results, right up till I cleared it.  I tried D2T, Solerez, AlumiUV, and others.  

Good luck, I wish you the best.

I did these in chrome. I just used a rattle can of chrome sprayed on the belly, then panted the rest of the lure as I normally would.

It has the Bob Smith 2 part epoxy top coat, and I didn't seem to have any problems with that. Have not used the lures as of yet, so can't speak to durability of the top coat over chrome rattle can paint.

IMG_2686.JPG

As others have stated.... to get a "mirror" like chrome or metal finish of any color - plating is probably your only option.  You can get a good silver flash or gold flash with foils, paints, transfers, glitter, etc.... but the mirror finish you'll find on a rattle trap is plated and about the only way you'd be able do it.

FYI Spaz Stix LOOKS great - (trust me I researched that stuff for weeks) but you'll notice it's sprayed on the INSIDE of a polished acrylic 99% of the time - then backed with a dark base (and looks great).  BUT... the second you try to reverse the process it it won't look the same cause - your black base will need to be polished perfectly for the spaz sticks to flat perfectly AND you'll need to cover the Spaz Stix paint with a clear/epoxy/etc.... it may still look good and flash - but it won't be a mirror finish if that's what your' looking for.  Lots of other products will give you a good silver/gold flash base to work on without all that headache.

J.

3 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Someone posted about a new Rustoleum product that is supposed to work well if misted every 20 seconds over a really smooth base, like an epoxy coat.

I don't remember what it's called, but it is out there, and I saw a video of it working, so good luck.

There is two products.  Rustoleum  Mirror Effect and Kylon Looking Glass.  These are the cheapest options I have found.  If you want to use your airbrush you can looking into Motochrome by Motostorm, I have used all three of these and give really good results.  The one thing about them is you pretty much have to epoxy coat them if you dip them in KBS it will reactivate the finish and dull the chrome.  I can post pictures if you like

Krylon Looking glass seems to get good results as long as you have a very smooth starting point, and put on very very thin coats.  This video shows how it is done, (not my video), he also has an entire series on how to get a chrome effect from foil to actual silver plating. Quite interesting.  I'm going to try the looking glass rattle can as it seems to do a nice job.

• Like 1