Elkins45

Homemade tackle bags on the cheap

I didn't know where to put this, so moderators please move it if you think it would fit better elsewhere.

I have a Flambeau Tackle Tote that was made to organize and transport the plastic boxes we all use. Unfortunately it has two flaws to my mind:

1) It holds the boxes vertical so rain can penetrate under the lid edges. If you forget and leave the box exposed in your boat you can end up with some rusty hooks.

2) They are like $18 each, which is a lot for some cloth, webbing and a strip of velcro.

tackle%20bag%20-%205.jpg

I decided I wanted to improve the design and make my own. Walmart sells a fabric called Pro Tuff Outdoor Fabric that is a canvas with a waterproof backing. I looks like it would be strong, waterproof and UV resistant. It was also quite reasonably priced at $4.97/yard. I picked up 1.5 yards and a spool of polyester heavy-duty upholstery thread.

Step one was to figure out the dimensions. I settled on a bag that will hold six large boxes tightly or five with some rattle room. For my first iteration I made a bag with a single strip that was to be wrapped around and form the front, bottom, back and top. As it turns out this wasn't the best design because it makes the top strip too narrow and it leaves the top with unhemmed edges. The second try was made from four pieces, which are:

main piece (1) 12" x 42.5"

sides (2) 10.5" x 16"

top (1) 15" x 21"

After cutting the material, begin by sewing the sides to the bottom to form "wings." This material has two distinct sides, so pay attention that the rubberized sides all face the correct direction before sewing them in place.

tackle%20bag%20-%201.jpg

The next step is to stitch the four side seams, then hem the top all the way around. Now turn it inside out and this completes the bag.

tackle%20bag%20-%203.jpg

The next step is to hem all around the top piece, with a big overlap on the front where the button holes go. Then make the button holes.

tackle%20bag%20-%208.jpg

Now, sew the top to the bag, mark the button locations and sew on the buttons.

tackle%20bag9%20-%201.jpg 

tackle%20bag%20-%204.jpg

As you can see, the top is intentionally wider than the bag. This gives a nice overhang to keep the water from dripping into the sides.

The first version where I integrated the top doesn't have that advantage and it came out all funky.

tackle%20bag%20-%206.jpg

My next step is to get some webbing and sew on handles.

Edited by Elkins45

I also bought some different fabric to try. This is polyester fleece and I just sewed it into a simple bag. I figured that since it's not waterproof it doesn't make any sense to add a lid. I'm just going to add a retention strip like on the original Flambeau tote, but secure it with a button instead of velcro. When it rains I can just turn it sideways and that should keep everything dry. Oh, and of course I'm going to add handles too. I just didn't have any nylon webbing lying around.

tackle%20bag%20-%207.jpg

Once I worked out the correct dimensions it was easy to cut out and put together a couple of different bag bodies. I made another one from a weatherproof canvas I found at the fabric store.

If you don't have a sewing machine I feel confident you could build one of these bags by gluing the fabric together with epoxy, or even hand stitch it.

Edited by Elkins45

Nice work, something you might want to add to both sides.

I have a soft tackle bag that has a thin bungee cord sewn in on the top flap to create a loop. The loop attaches below over a button.

It's easy to attach especially out in the elements when it's windy and cold and fingers aren't as nimble.

Edited by fshng2

56 minutes ago, fshng2 said:

Nice work, something you might want to add to both sides.

I have a soft tackle bag that has a thin bungee cord sewn in on the top flap to create a loop. The loop attaches below over a button.

It's easy to attach especially out in the elements when it's windy and cold and fingers aren't as nimble.

That’s a better idea than mine. I guess it’s time for version 3nkw.

This is a great project, I am enthused. I have made do with commercial bags to contain my fishing gear, none of which were very convenient. Also, the bag must be secured to my bicycle for transport. I don't have to walk more than 50yds and so shoulder straps are not necessary.

It would be nice to have a more compact and robust carrier as my current bag (sports type) is way too big and flops all over the place. I will look at my gear and follow your lead. Thanks for posting this.

Dave

I will likely use a flap lid with a couple of buckle connectors, these can be flipped open with one hand. Also, the connectors can be used for a completely removable shoulder strap should it ever be required.

A couple of elasticated partitions for my leaky bait boxes to prevent them flipping over and making a mess.

32_mm_clip.JPG