shootermcbob

Some areas of non-fill

Hello everyone. I have been having areas of non-fill? on several lures when using devcon 2T epoxy. It is not much, but a slight area where the texture of the lures "is not completely covered", or even a tiny spot of non-fill. I am most likely just missing these. Can I just mix some more epoxy and "touch up" these areas? Thanks in advance for the help.

I've had some of that, particularly when I was finishing too many baits at once. I got in a hurry and missed some spots and/or the epoxy was starting to thicken on the last bait.  In those cases, I've lightly sanded the bait with 3M pads (after at least  24 hours)  and recoated the entire thing with epoxy that I had thinned a little more than usual.  They came out fine.  I had just tried putting some epoxy over the spots and that didn't do so well. 

• Like 1

I've not had much luck with filling small areas either.  I usually wait till the epoxy is cured, then do another complete coating which often does the job.  Be very careful sanding down the cured epoxy as i have taken off paint in the areas where the epoxy didn't take! Very frustrating.  That being said, the lures I'm making are large musky lures, so a bit of extra epoxy is not a problem.  If it is a small lure, you may want to try a small repair, I'm not sure of the best way to do this though.  It seems using a UV cured product can give you good results for small voids, but that is an entirely different setup. 

You can put a small bit of epoxy in the hole with a toothpick and just put a piece of clear scotch tape over it until it cures. Then you can slowly peel the tape off. The tape helps level out the fill in the hole. Edges may stll show but at least the bait will be sealed and it won't pop out.  This problem can be caused by oil or dirt from you hands. But I have learned that devcon levels out best when the environment in your shop is between 70 to 74 deg. and the humidity is at least 60% or better. If the air is too dry it can cause the epoxy to cure quickly and draw up as it cures. If the temp is too cold then the epoxy becomes too thick to spread out evenly while it is on your wheel. If it is too high then it starts to cure too quickly and you could have the same problem. Everyone needs to remember that applying epoxy clearcoats is a skill, just like painting. Practice makes perfect.

Skeeter

• Like 2