shootermcbob

Respirators

a question for the more experienced. I have currently only been using a particle facemask for when I paint with createx latex water based paint and coat with devon 2T epoxy. 

What respirator do you guys use? 

If I go to dipping my lures in KBS, in my garage with plenty of airflow, What respirator should I use? 

I looked on amazon and there a billion choices ranging from 5 bucks to 2200.00? 

Again, Thanks for all the help.

I use the green Gerson respirator ( #8311P) from Harbor Freight. Got a new one this month with  the coupon for about 13$. I can't smell any KBS, Xylene,  epoxy or body filler vapors when I wear it. I know there are much, much better and more appropriate ones out there,  but for the price and the functionability and the amount I'll need it, it does the job.

I use Dick Nite MCU, not KBS, and don’t use a mask while brushing it on lures in my garage.  If I coated large numbers of lures in an enclosed space there would be a lot more fumes and yes, I’d use a solvent rated mask.  But 1-6 lures in a well ventilated garage? Not me.

16 hours ago, shootermcbob said:

Do the people here that us KBS use a respirator? I am wanting to give this product a try, but it is listed as containing polyisocyanates...which can cause cancer(along with nearly everything else these days)? 

in general, who uses a respirator and for what purpose? Thanks everyone

Absolutely, even when dipping outdoors. That stuff is NASTY and will get you high as a kite in a few minutes. The first time I used it (indoors without a respirator), I couldn't see the color red for about an hour and was pretty dizzy. With the proper filters you can't smell a thing. 

It literally takes 5 seconds to slap on the mask and if you get a well fitting one you will forget you are wearing it. I walked upstairs to get a drink of water once while painting and put the glass up to the mask. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use a respirator when I spray. Mainly because I shoot lacquers. My thought is if you get lacquer particles in your lungs then they wont dissolve and flush out of your body because they are solvent based. That goes for urethanes too. Water based paints can eventually dissolve but paints of all kinds are getting better and tougher and I am still unsure what is contained in reducers for stuff like createx. I think we all can agree that it is more than just water. You are correct that isocanates can cause cancer if you are exposed a lot. But to my knowledge, there are no filters that can completely block them. Proper ventilation and good masks are the key when you shoot or dip. Taking fresh air breaks are good too in my book. Just be glad we aren't painting cars.

Skeeter

• Thanks 1

3m organic vapor cartridges with HEPA pre filters.   I use that for pouring and painting, even if outside. 

Note on putting it in plastic bag.. don't do that immediately. When we breathe through them there is a good bit of moisture buildup. Before storing it in a sealed bag, leave somewhere the moisture can dry out of the mask and the cartridges. If not, there is a mold that can grow on it/ in it that's nearly as bad to breath as the chemicals we're using. You don't want it in your lungs. So yes, store them sealed but give them a couple hours where they can dry out before storing. 

• Like 1