Skeeterguy34

Powder overspray

Hey everyone. Thanks for the add. I’ve used a ton of info from this site and wanted to thank everyone. I am definitely and beginner at making lures but really struggling with over spray on my spinnerbaits. I watched smalljaws videos and have my psi down below 5 psi. I stay as close as I can and use short bursts. But when I try to do other colors it seem it wraps around the other side of the lure. I live in Michigan and really like gold with black and silver with black but each color gets mixed. Any help would be great! Thanks!

9FD4A1A8-5AF5-4E21-8B68-20EF7461C58E.jpeg

Map gas is too hot, propane is much better for this. I don't think it is too much heat though, the issue is how you are putting the colors on, you have to think about how the powder is going to spray.  For example, on a bait that I'm doing that say has a white belly with a red throat patch, pearl sides and a black back I will do the colors in a certain order. First the white belly, then the red throat patch and that is because I may get overspray onto the pearl. Next I do the pearl body and finally the black back, but for the back I won't spray directly on top but maybe 5 degrees off center, it is very little. I do that so I get a little overspray onto what I call the shoulders of the bait, this area is lighter in color to the back and gives a nice transition over to the lighter pearl color.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to suggest using a torch if you were using a heat gun. Smalljaw is the resident SME (subject matter expert) on the powder spraying. I tried it and could never get good results so I just do the tap method and went to an airbrush. Hope you get it worked out....

• Like 1