catfishhunter2190

Color change

You mention colors like they are all the same. But that is so far from the truth it is not even funny. If you know it is not an over heating problem them it just might be what you believe the color should look like. It takes a long time to find color you like or believe to be the right color. Not a bad thing but it just might take awhile to find them. And with that you will eventually end up with colors you may never use. Then you will find out that color strength is all over the place too. Not that it is a bad thing but when you use say one black and get a nice smoke color you might buy another suppliers black and it won’t be the same. If this all seems a bit overwhelming that’s because it is when it comes to colors. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, Baitjunkys said:

FTR, Several colors will change when they cool.

Yes they will.When i was first starting  I called Leonard  thinking i may have been over heating my baitjunkys plastic when the lureworks  uv 193 i was using  was turning a pretty nice red color & he assured me that  when it cured it would be the color i wanted & it was.

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

Something else to consider is the number of re-heats on the same plastic if you're doing multiple shots.

Initial heat, Shoot baits, Re-heat, Shoot next round, Re-heat, Shoot another round, etc..etc...

This can change colors (and plastic) a lot as the heat stabilizer begins to "wear off" after multiple reheats of the same plastic, especially if you're pushing the upper end of the temps each time.

I've had this happen to my watermelon seed shots before.  I added a bit of head stabilizer to my second re-heat (just a dash) and I've not had the issue happen again.
I don't know if it was this that fixed it, but no more changes after multiple shots and re-heats on the same plastic.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, catfishhunter2190 said:

I accidentally left my colors out side in the garage and the temps got down around 5 or 10 degrees will this affect it like normal dos if it freezes

Mine stays in my unheated garage all of the time & i have never had a single problem. Shake or stir it up good to get the pigment mixed up good where it has sat & separated & you'll be fine. I stir mine with a welding rod that i have removed the flux & wire brushed to get it clean. After this i shake it good to mix & it's fine.