Chip

How do you guys paint a bluegill?

:rolleyes: CHIP,i can help you but I can only tell you using laquer paint.I know that this is probably the least desirable method but it does work good.The blues and browns are achived with pearls layered over diffirent base coats and a few diffierent stencils.I have to paint some this weekend and would be glad to post the pic and instructions for you and anyone else.God Bless.

Chip,

This is a photo-finish bait.....if I could paint like this I wouldn't be building lures! The top, bottom and all the red on the bait I airbrushed in as I felt it added to the bait. Most photo-finishes in my opinion lack color brilliance and the red on this bait helps remedy that.

I also think it's possible to get a more natural looking bait with "all paint" but I enjoy using the photo finish on at least part of my baits.

You have a good looking bluegill pattern up you have painted though. It would be nice if you could somehow get a realistic looking scale pattern into the paint.

Jed

B&B... would love to see the photos....

Jed... There is a scale pattern, but it is washed out in the photo. It is a pearlesent green with a pearlesent Mediterr... blue scale painted through mesh.

The pearlesent paints cause it to change color from green to blue flash on retrieve. Thats because I paint a thicker top layer that hides the undercoat at an angle. The undercoat only shows from a straight on view. I will make a tutorial sometime. Its a nice holographic type effect.

PS.... I really do like your fish print lures (and everyones)... Its just too time consuming for me to make them. I need to look into having those type images printed on a shrink wrap tube film... Then just heat then down to the bait and topcoat..... Rapala is doing something similar to this....

Chip :D

I paint a bluegill as if it were on the bed in May so my colors may vary from others....white base followed by metallic silver on the belly...

Gold on the the sides, blend back into the silver under belly...

metallic purple and pearl. blue back blended to the gold sides....

and then I add netted, vertical stripes in silver on the sides...

add a black bream flap and add eyes.

I used templates for the entire bait. Specifically 5 different templates. one template for the bars that run down the side of the bait, one for the blue/grn color of the gill plate, one for the black outline and gill plate details ,one template for the fin, one template for the fin details and thats it. I index all of the templates before i get to painting so that everything lines up in the right spot!!Obviously I will not be adding this color to my regular line of baits. The photo-finish baits are beautiful and look like the real McCoy, but I prefer to paint everything