LucasJ

Thread

Been tying my own bucktails for a bit. Question is:  I’m getting a lot of build up around the opening of my bobbin. I’m using GSP 210. Should I go to a UTC ultra or Danville flat waxed, stay with what I’m using? I will be ordering a ceramic tip bobbin soon so that might help also. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

GSP (gel spun polyethylene) shouldn't cause any build up and I never heard of it doing that. My guess is you are using a waxed thread because GSP doesn't come in 210 denier, at least I've never encountered it. I know it runs from like 50 denier up to 200 but then after that I only ever saw 280 but I only use 200 and didn't like it.  I've heard of waxed threads causing build up in bobbins without ceramic inserts, my bobbins all have it and also flared ends and I have never had issue with build up and I only used waxed nylon. Id reach out to the manufacturer and find out what the issue could be because as I mentioned before, I never heard of build up associated with GSP but it may be brand specific, I don't know but the manufacturer should be able to help.

You are correct. It’s GSP 200 from Jann’s. I had to poke through the tip of the bobbin with a needle to get the buildup out. I just have a thumb bobbin from Jann’s but will be ordering a ceramic tip soon. Hopefully that will solve my problem. If not I guess I’ll try a different thread like nylon or UTC maybe? Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I have tied thousands of bucktail jigs and never had any issues.  I don't have any special bobbins.  The only thread that I use if flat waxed Danville because I tie so tight that I break anything else that I have tried.

Jig Man, I too love Danville flat waxed nylon but GSP is stronger. I believe GSP 200 denier has like 10lb breaking strength compared to 3lb for 210 flat waxed nylon. The issue I have with GSP is it doesn't like gripping bucktail without super glue on each layer, and it is more than 3X the cost of flat waxed nylon but you wouldn't break that thread either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LucasJ said:

Guy at Jann’s mentioned size D rod building thread for dressing trebles? 

No, go to Barlow's Tackle and get 210 denier flat waxed nylon, it is almost $1.00 per spool cheaper than the size D rod thread from Jann's. I'm not advocating places to shop, I'm letting you know that the size D rod thread is about the size of 210 denier thread and the flat waxed nylon lays flat and won't build up as fast as the rod thread.

• Like 1