Jump to content
Rick Smith

How to make led light water activated lures

Recommended Posts

Do you want constant or flashing. The LED color makes a difference too.

How are you with a soldering iron and very fiddly work?

You will have to figure out a battery mounting, water proof but easily accessible for changes. The components can be sealed in resin or epoxy, so they are no problem.

I designed a circuit a couple of years ago, for flashing LEDs and water contact switch. I never got around to building it, so sorry, untested. The dimensions of the electronics are 14mm x 10mm x 8mm plus a little extra for epoxy sealing.

I have written instructions on how to build, blow by blow. If you are interested, pm me your email addy and I will send you all I have.

Dave

 

 

ISO1.JPG

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make a led lighted lure simply by using a coin cell like a CR2032 and any standard LED. No resistor needed. The switch to complete the circuit is probably the most concerning part and there are many ways to tackle doing that.

 

Let's consider a water activated switch. To add that functionality, the easiest way is to use a 3.7v capable microprocessor to act as your brain box. The Attiny AVR microprocessors are adequate for these types of applications. For the water sensor to control the state of the LED, note the resistance between two contacts will change if you apply water. We can apply this type of sensor to measure soil moisture for a plant for instance. But we can use that logic for our water sensor. The microprocessor, AVRs such as those used in Arduinos, can measure that analog change in resistance thus turning on its outputs. Which will supply 3.7v to the LED and inverse operations when water is not detected.

 

If you got this far, you would then implement the deep sleep functionality of AVR microprocessors in your code to conserve battery life time. 

Edited by datguy.dev
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Datguy - definitely a good solution. If I were to built hundreds of these lures, this would be the way that I go. Except for the programming equipment, the price is about the same, but the space saving is significant, especially if you use SMD (miniature) chips.

There is an 'instructable' for a flashing light using this technology, but it only gives a broad outline. But, I am sure the detailed information is available on the web.

Very techy :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thinking with the flashing light; is that you can have the off time 5x or even 10x the on time. This will be a power saving of the same magnitude, AND, you can still choose a frequency (flashes per second). This is all controlled by choice of resistor values or in the case of Datguy's solution, in the programming.

You can also control the brightness for more power savings, again, by choice of resistor value.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

My thinking with the flashing light; is that you can have the off time 5x or even 10x the on time. This will be a power saving of the same magnitude, AND, you can still choose a frequency (flashes per second). This is all controlled by choice of resistor values or in the case of Datguy's solution, in the programming.

You can also control the brightness for more power savings, again, by choice of resistor value.

Dave

could you vodkaman send out a point to point schematic of the flasher circuit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bigblue - Here is the circuit schematic. I also have a spreadsheet for calculating the resistor and capacitor values to achieve the required on/off times.

I would welcome any electronics boffins to check my work, as I stated, untested.schematic.jpg.76c665a6bef77cdce401889a039d846c.jpg

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, datguy.dev said:

You can make a led lighted lure simply by using a coin cell like a CR2032 and any standard LED. No resistor needed. The switch to complete the circuit is probably the most concerning part and there are many ways to tackle doing that.

 

I made a few this way as "joke" gifts for some guys I fished with off and on.  They were big believers in lures make the anglers where I am from the other camp.

As mentioned  just tape the leads directly to the battery essentially making a "throwie" without the magnet.  At one time a lot of how to videos on making throwies (way of tagging bridge overpasses, street signs, etc...)  Should get one to two weeks of continuous use if just wanting to prototype something initially.   You can add colored plexiglass in places to get spots, eyes, etc if so inclined.  

Trip to dollar store for a few of their LED nightlights or flashlights is where I got my materials.  

DSC_0676.jpg

Edited by Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You maybe able to find a local electronics store for LEDs and the other components. Red, yellow and green should be around $0,15 each. I am very fortunate here in Indonesia; in the city there is a huge mall full of electronics and other self build shops. Because it is a fiscally poor nation, do not make the mistake of thinking that they are dumb. So much electronics and computer genius here, enough to keep the mall in profit.

There are online stores such as Maplin that are reasonably competitive. There is RS components but I find them expensive, but that was years ago, maybe different now with so much competition. The market for electronic components is bigger than you might think!

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Datguy - definitely a good solution. If I were to built hundreds of these lures, this would be the way that I go. Except for the programming equipment, the price is about the same, but the space saving is significant, especially if you use SMD (miniature) chips.

There is an 'instructable' for a flashing light using this technology, but it only gives a broad outline. But, I am sure the detailed information is available on the web.

Very techy :)

Dave

You might get a kick out of this. I never got around to building it just yet... I'm not much of a night fishermen. But I have like two decades of experience in hobbyist electronics. I have all the respect for guys who conduct schematics like you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! very cool lure. 3D printed too which means very good CAD skills.

I have been an electronics hobbyist since college, specializing in logic since I failed the subject. I only pick up the soldering iron very occasionally when a need arises.

I have been meaning to explore arduino but the need hasn't arisen yet. I have a few stepper motor projects that would suit programming as the standard electronics is a nightmare for such control.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, Vodkaman said:

Do you want constant or flashing. The LED color makes a difference too.

How are you with a soldering iron and very fiddly work?

You will have to figure out a battery mounting, water proof but easily accessible for changes. The components can be sealed in resin or epoxy, so they are no problem.

I designed a circuit a couple of years ago, for flashing LEDs and water contact switch. I never got around to building it, so sorry, untested. The dimensions of the electronics are 14mm x 10mm x 8mm plus a little extra for epoxy sealing.

I have written instructions on how to build, blow by blow. If you are interested, pm me your email addy and I will send you all I have.

Dave

 

 

ISO1.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Vodkaman,

I am trying to make a water activated led and having trouble in doing so. I have looked at your diagrams (which is like a different language to me) and wondering if you could list out what materials I need and any other useful info, if you have the time. Thanks so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shine2200 said:

Hi Vodkaman,

I am trying to make a water activated led and having trouble in doing so. I have looked at your diagrams (which is like a different language to me) and wondering if you could list out what materials I need and any other useful info, if you have the time. Thanks so much

I did start to construct a word document outlining the soldering order, but due to lack of interest of members I did not finish it. The document links with the 8th post showing the circuit diagram and shows the soldering order.

As a word document, it cannot be posted, but I am happy to email it to you. PM me your email address.

If the idea becomes more viable for you, I am prepared to pick the project up again and complete the document for you.

I have not actually built this circuit, but it is based on published circuits, and experience from past work using 555 timers devices and touch switches.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My knowledge on this is, no knowledge. I ripped apart a deep drop led fishing light and it looks so simple with a tiny chip, some batteries and the bulb and it doesn’t look complicated but figuring out what parts I need and understanding what order is what I can’t seem to find anywhere. I have the led bulbs, resistors, and batteries and really just tried to complete it dry first to light the bulb, but couldn’t get that even. The deep drop led  is exactly what I want but I want to put it together myself and pour my own resin for a custom shape. Something seeming so simple and cheap to buy is seeming to be so complicated. I’m just not sure I would even understand your document but would love to take a look if you would. My email is dstorms26@yahoo.com. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am working on it now.

I will give you a full parts list and a graphic step-by-step. Give me a little time as I will have to check my work. The home made hand sanitizer is kicking in at the moment :)

I will ask you questions as to flash rate, how many flashes per second that you would like. Have a think about this. I am going for red LED lights with this design.

Getting an LED to light is as easy as stated in a previous post by Datguy. Getting the LED to flash takes a little more circuitry such as a 555 timer chip. Getting the electronics to switch on and off with water contact requires more electronics again, and this is what I am going for with this circuit.

Electronic components come in two sizes; SMD and standard. SMD are miniature surface mount components and are rather specialized. I have never used them, so I have gone for easily available standard components.

If you want smaller, the SMD components have the same pins but will be a lot fiddlier to construct. My design is complex enough, but will be a good apprenticeship.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that is very kind of you, I sure don’t expect that. I guess it doesn’t even necessarily have to flash light just be water activated and stay on in water and turn off out of water. I really appreciate all your help this is the farthest I have gotten on this project and I’m really excited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shine2200 - Word file sent.

Have a look and decide if you want to take this further. If you decide not to I will understand :)

This is not an easy project.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...
Top