Elkins45

Acrylic yarn skirt

On a whim I tied up a jig using some short strands of acrylic yarn, the kind that you buy at the sewing store to know sweaters. I used too much, but the result was quite interesting. It gave the jig a lot of bulk and once you got it wet it added quite a bit of extra weight for greater casting distance. I’m going to tie up a couple of variations with lighter heads and fewer strands to see how they behave. I think tying them like the old “spider legs” spinnerbait skirts might be ideal.

Anyone else try this?

Edited by Elkins45
  • Like 1

First of all I have to acknowledge 21XDC and the shoelace, I bet that actually looked pretty cool coming through the water. As for yarn, I can see it working, I've been tying with these Dragon Tails I got from Barlow's, it is basically a tough chenille which is similar to yarn and it looks awesome in the water. While I haven't seen yarn or a lot of other stuff I can tell you there is a thing called a "satin jig", crappie and panfish guys in certain parts of the country tie these up. They use satin ribbon and cut a length off and then remove the fibers which are super thin and very limp, I have tied several myself and caught crappie on them. Show us a picture of it, I would love to see how it looks.

• Like 2

Each piece of yarn is actually four strands. I tied them on first and then unraveled them. This 12 strand version is about as dense as I would make one. I may make a couple of 8 strand versions to see if they give enough volume to the skirt. I can tell you a 24 strand version is really heavy when it gets wet.

jig - 1.jpg

jig - 2.jpg

Cheapest skirt ever!

Edited by Elkins45
  • Like 1

That is really, really cool!!!! I do see one possible issue, yarn is very limp and those strands are thick enough that is could possibly foul the hook.  There is also a possibility it won't foul, and the yarn will get heavy when it gets wet so it would be great on a light head. You could make a 1/16oz or 1/8oz jig that will cast well and have the bulk of a 3/8oz jig, I'll be interested to hear the results of you fishing it.

• Like 1