Bodysix2

BTS - 5” stick top port mold issues

Just received my BTS stick mold. I choose to go with the top ports and individual shots. I went to go shoot some today and the ports are too large for the tip of the injector to sit properly. This is causing huge issues when trying to shoot plastic. Also, seems like when i go shoot the second  port air gets into the first shot and pushes the plastic out. I clamp the crap out of it.

Any suggestions? 

Well, shoot. It’s pretty dang simple. The standard is 5/8 inch and one or the other is off. If the BTS injection port is too big, communicate that with Bob and send it back. If your injector is off, well call Sarah and do the same. That prob is hard to fix and you shouldn’t have to. 

• Like 1

I ended up measuring the port size. The 5” sticks ports are anywhere from 1/16 to 1/8 bigger from the other molds I have. I think because of the bigger ports it making the walls in between each port very thin allowing air to get pushed into the ports when shooting. 

1D2ED799-9562-4D6D-B381-899E497923CD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bodysix2 said:

Well that makes sense now, but hand pouring laminates will be terrible. Reason why I got the top port so I could shoot single shoots. 

I'm just trying to understand...  You wanted to just shoot a single bait some times instead of the full mold?  Bob must have thought you wanted a hand pour for some reason because very few of his molds are hand pour.  You can still do laminates with that mold the old fashioned way: open the mold, pour one side, close the mold and pour the other half. 

Personally I prefer side inject for sticks.  In my mind, the salt,sand, whatever would tend to sink towards the tail in the vertical baits making them a tad tail heavy as opposed to the side inject where it would tend to sink towards the side of the bait evenly along the length of the bait.  I could be all wet in that theory but in my mind it's possible.     

• Like 1

I wanted a top port with individual shoots to make laminates. This way I don’t have a giant spruce that gets trashed. Also, I was thinking the single ports would make a better laminate.  

Yea, I’m not going to hand pour. Before I placed the orders I specifically asked Bob the different between a side and top injection. No mention the top was going to be cut for hand pouring. Plus his description says top inject or side inject nothing about hand pouring...

Just frustration as I waited almost 25-30 days after the order to receive the molds, never bugged them to see where the order was. Guess I’m out of $70 and now the tip mold I have is useless unless I buy another stick mold from him. 

For my own learning  (as I've made all my bait molds and with few exceptions design them with a single top port and run the bait "vertical") when shooting a "side port" laminate... are you using a blending block?  If so - I assume the port is on top of the mold and the bait running "horizontal"..... any issues with the colors not being somewhat even as it fills the injection port then has to "turn" and fill out the bait horizontally?  I'd imaging if you don't have the block registered correctly obviously that would be an issue... but otherwise does it work pretty well?

Thanks!

J.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

Most mold makers face first not last, And the holes look round which they should as they are clearly drilled out post, hence the chatter marks at the bottom.

Those holes are programmed in the mold half. They are done with a ball end mill. No chatter just a large step over. That’s the way some of the early molds were done. I have many molds like that and most are hand pour. Not that they can’t be injected but they have some issues when doing so. On the question of saving plastic from a long Sprue you will have four short ones and when making sure they are topped off I would bet you are wasting about the same amount of plastic but wasting time keeping them full. 

• Like 2