Troutfishing303

How to clean molds

Any old mild soap and water upto and including dish detergent will work fine.  If you received a mold that still has cutting fluids on it Dawn dish soap for example will work just fine. 

Is there a reason you are asking about cleaning molds?  Unless you have gotten them dirty there is usually never a need to clean aluminum molds.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I don't clean my molds unless they have some kind of residue on them.  When I rarely clean them I spray them with a solution of alcohol and water then wipe them down with a cloth.  But like I stated that is rare.

@Jig ManThanks Jig Man, I'll try the alcohol solution.

Edited by Troutfishing303

2 hours ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

Any old mild soap and water upto and including dish detergent will work fine.  If you received a mold that still has cutting fluids on it Dawn dish soap for example will work just fine. 

Is there a reason you are asking about cleaning molds?  Unless you have gotten them dirty there is usually never a need to clean aluminum molds.  

@CNC Molds N Stuff One of my molds are flashing more than I remember (it always had a little bit of flashing).  I'm wondering if I clean it, it will fix the flashing but probably not lol.  I'm also just wanting to keep my molds clean and rust/corrosion free.  I love my molds :D

When I’m done shooting baits for the year due to fishing and outside work I clean my molds up. I use a scrub brush with soft nylon bristles and an old toothbrush for the cavities with Dawn dish soap. I scrub the entire mold front and back, dry with a towel and then air dry. This winter they will be nice and clean ready to go. 

• Like 2

Not cheap but I have some molds that are over ten years old and they are still in great shape. I have the first Twinjector ever sold and it is going strong to this day. Everyone has there way of cleaning, I use a solvent called wax and grease remover. It works without scrubbing and dries fast. You can find it at an auto body supply store. It leaves the aluminum clean and bight. I live in California and it is not legal to sell it where I live but I get by. Use it and you will never use anything else. Don’t get the water based one! 

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Troutfishing303 said:

@Frank Thanks for the tip but I wonder why it's not legal lol.  I try to stay away from harsh chemicals, especially in this hobby where we already have to deal with plastisol. 

Cause I live in California. Harsh is not a good word for this product. I use harsh chemicals every day but this one is real mild. If you get road tar on your car this is the product that removes it. A lot like wd40 but no silicone. 

On 4/14/2019 at 10:22 AM, Frank said:

Cause I live in California. Harsh is not a good word for this product. I use harsh chemicals every day but this one is real mild. If you get road tar on your car this is the product that removes it. A lot like wd40 but no silicone. 

@Frank I understand, a lot of things are illegal in California that isn't illegal in other states.  It's odd.  I'll check my local auto shop for it.  Thanks for the tip!

7 hours ago, Troutfishing303 said:

@R Glover  Sounds good to me!  WD-40 works for everything!  Have you ever heard that WD-40 is a good fish attractant?  I don't recommend it for that since it's probably bad for the water but some people swear by it lol.  Thanks for the tip. 

It is a dynamite catfish bait attractant, but my understanding that, because it's a petroleum product, it is illegal to use in CA.