CaptainSeabass

Making A Lure Out Of A Stick & Catching Fish WIth It!

G'day guys,

So for a new little video series I'm trying to set up on Youtube, called Carve, Cast, Catch. I've started off on the first episode and wanted to show that the most basic of lures can be successfully be made without too much material. I therefore decided to carve a simple topwater, walk-the-dog lure out of a wooden stick I found outside. Please let me know what you think. Cheers!

Good video. 6 mins of intro was a bit much, but I understand, this being the intro for a series.

All the basics were covered, showing that lure building does not have to be rocket science. I loved that you took the lure to the water and caught a fish to complete the tutorial.

I have thought over the years that a lakeside build competition would be a great morning's addition to the annual TU meeting. Limited hand tool and hardware rules, find a piece of wood, build the lure and catch a fish. After all, we are lure builders, what better way to demonstrate our craft.

Dave

Just proving that pea sized brain, fish don't need all the fancy colors and actions to be fooled... All of that just fools the fisherman.  That is why I posted my pictures... No way was I trying to take away from your post/video. 

I tried to catch bass on  gummi worms before, But I couldn't keep them on the hook long enough. They melted off. :yes:

I haven't fished for a couple of months, but I am now seriously thinking of trying my idea out at the competition pond. I won't be eligible for any prizes as lures are not permitted.

There are plenty of bushes and trees around, and plastic bottles that would make a fine lip/bib. I will confine my efforts to the 3 hours of the actual competition and see how it goes.

Tools that I will allow myself; scissors, box cutter, hacksaw blade, pliers, drill bit and runny CA glue. Hardware; hooks, rings, solder and wire.

Not sure when it will happen but I will shoot video. I am thinking a shallow crank for the job as that is my main experience.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 2