datguy.dev

Does there exist a technique to retrieve a lure wrapped up in tree branches?

Greetings,

I had a sticky situation today getting a lure wrapped around a small tree in the water; out of reach from the shore. You know when you throw into some branches and you try to pop it around at the perfect moment.... But it wraps up instead of flying back at ya'? I was using the first frog I ever owned. So I got wet and went in and got it. Since then, I've been thinking about how to hit the undo button when these type of situations .... and getting good is not a personal option. :D A lot of the times if the lure isn't snagged and will fall, I'll let it drop and cut the line, and use the wind or whatever to try and get the lure. There are so many variables with this situation, but if you have any tips, I'm all ears.

Currently, I'm developing a device which will slide down or up one's line to retrieve the lure. But with all the variables... getting the lure free is quite the development challenge. Worth a go at however because I'm pretty sure everyone has lost a lure to some branches and knows that feeling when you watch it dangle out of reach.

Edited by datguy.dev

If you are fishing snaggy waters regularly, it may be worth making your hooks snag proof with some heavy mono whipped to the shank with the ends protecting the hook points.

Cutting the line should never be an option unless you are certain to be retrieving the line. We are not 'tree huggers', but we must show some respect for nature that provides our sport.

Dave

I fish a lot of creeks for smallies and many of the guys in the area that are serious creek anglers go with heavy braid for this very purpose.   Hooks will straighten out, o rings open up, or the branch break.     Few lures are lost and you don't ruin a spot that are far and few in between.  

I'm talking about when the line is creating the knot(s) around branches. The lure's hooks might be be snagged. That aspect is quite random. Pulling it off is only viable if you think the branch will break. Heavier duty line would help, but I'd like to assume one's lure spends more time in the water than a tree. It would be a difficult sell for an ultralight rod etc. Adding, most fishermen would be using leaders with braid. So the overall strength would still only be as strong as the weakest part. In my experiences, mono or braid will rub and create a weak point where the line often snaps. Not to forget, if you happen to get wrapped up with a branch that is fresh and about 1" thick it'll just bend. You'd need to be a walking tractor to pull that out.

Edited by datguy.dev

Made some progress on the device at the least. The line snagged gets inserted into the center channel where the teeth are; it's non slip. You attach the device and flick the line to move the device up it. Then a line is run through the middle and out either side of the device with a rare earth magnet attached. (There is an hole on the opposite hole the right to run the line back through.) If you pull on the magnet line, it disengages the teeth mechanism allowing for both retrieval or adjustment.

The idea is you flick it around and get the magnet to stick to the lure so you can either loosen it with some finessing or pull it to a razor on the device. In that case, there are more magnets on the device to catch the lure when the line is cut. I'm also considering adding another hole on the left for a lift clamp style branch cutter which would use razor blades but weight becomes a considerable issue and how that'll rotate the device. Aside from branches, I'm going to add retrieving lures stuck underwater as many other lure retrievers do. 

Untitled.png

Edited by datguy.dev

Ended up with this design: https://a360.co/2KODDOW Didn't work out. If you put a bullet weight on you line and flick it, the weight will move up the line. You get that with texas rigs often if you don't secure the weight. A part of my designed lure catcher is it would not slip and used a clamp to allow it to climb the line. I designed it to have more resistance as if it was falling down the line than going up. But it turns out, even a minute amount of resistance won't allow you to flick the device up the line. Let alone, enough resistance to keep the device from falling. A bit of a catch-22.

I think I'm going to try a ball lock:

Ball-Lock.png

Depending on where you live, you can go back after ice-up and cut it loose as long as it's above the water line.  I did that last winter here in northern Illinois.  I didn't find anything amazing, but picked up maybe $20 worth of baits, hooks, and sinkers from a couple small ponds.  Looking forward to this coming winter and trying it again.

The way i usually do it, granted a boat really really really helps with it, is that if you are hung in a tree and it doesnt come off first try or it starts off with a couple wraps, the best thing i have found is to go over to it cut the line as high up as you can and hook one of the treble hook onto the top eye of your rod and give it a slow steady pull.. most of the time it will get your lure out of the tree unless super wrapped up.  Hopefully most of you are decent casters and the lure is not more than 5-10 feet above your head.  If your 15+ feet up in the tree, good luck, start making or buy you another because short of cutting the tree down your not gonna get it back.  I guess a pole saw in your boat or truck would be an option.  Lastly here is a tactic i used one time because the lure that was stuck happened to be one of the first ones i ever made.  I was stuck about 8-10' above my head on the river one day in the boat.  Got the lure stuck in the tree and failed to free it on the first go so naturally it was super wrapped up after my first attempt.  I usually carry TP or paper towels in the boat for ya know, all the messes i make, i ended up taking the longest rod i had onboard and wrapping the tip of it in TP a bunch of times and tying it off... Lit that sucker on fire and quickly touched the giant knot and portion of my line that was  somewhat free... down fell my lure and i quickly snatched it up before it sank...one thing if you need to try this is make sure the second you get the line burnt and your lure out stick the end of the rod in the water as fast as you can to keep the flame from doing any damage.  Just a thought, ya gotta do EVERYTHING you an if your favorite lure is stuck in a big ol cottonwood!  

Or just start carrying a chainsaw!!

One time I snagged my hottest crankbait in about 8' or 10' of water up north (meaning western Ontario).  I wasn't about to let it go, so I jumped in, followed my line down to it, and pulled it loose.  It was snagged on a submerged, high-voltage electric cable.  Of course the cable insulation was thick enough the hook didn't penetrate it, but it sure made me think twice before unhooking the bait!

Otherwise, I used to frequent the fishing hot-spots with snorkel gear and find the stuff other's lost.

3 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Not always practical but definitely fun

I have recovered a few lure from trees well salmon fishing in northern BC with a 12gauge. I think I wasted about 5 rounds shooting a branch one day :rolleyes:

That is awesome!  Definitely fits the "hillbilly" label too... The important thing though, is that we both got our lures back!