MarkR

Line tie in crankbait lips and beginners progress

Sorry for the long winded post. I have just begun making wood lures and set out on a mission to make some musky jerkbaits and have since also jumped into making crankbaits. I have a total of about 16 types/sizes of lures in progress, I attached a sample pic of a few here. Not the best approach I am sure but it is what I have now and love making them. I have done a few things that some will question as work arounds but hey you use what you have. I will provide a full progress once I get water tests started in a few weeks. 

To try and make the water testing more efficient I will do multiple line ties on the crankbaits where the ties are on the lip. Due to my very limited tool selection, a jig saw, drill and sandpaper I am trying to make some things easier if I can. My question is whether anyone knows how the action is affected, is it destroyed or made unstable, if I use one larger hole, say 1/4" to pop the line tie thru the lip instead of doing a smaller hole for each of the wire ends. So what I would have is 3 larger holes, say 1/4" diameter instead of 6 smaller ones, 1/8" which are basically filled by the wire. What the one hole per tie allows is for one wire to be used for multiple line ties instead of tying off the extra line ties to the main wire. The easiest would be if the larger holes don't really affect the action but if it does I have some possible solutions. One is to score a piece of lexan that the wire fits in the score slot and glue it to the underside of the lure lip in turn filling the bottom of the 3 holes while adding some strength to the lip. Another solution is if there is any type of glue/paste I could fill the holes with, this could be risky.

Open to any recommendations or general comments of my progress so far.

20190410_085620.jpg

Sometimes you have to test your testing methods to figure things out. :D I say go for it. If I'm reading your question right, I don't think the larger holes will impact the action or depth substantially. I think it would impact the lures in the bottom right the most because they don't have flat tops.