LucasJ

Bucktails

Don't try to put it all on at once.  Make several wraps before putting the hair in.  Only put about 1/3 of the hair on and do a couple of wraps to hold it in place, move around the hook a bit and put another third on and do a couple of wraps, move to the last open space and put the last third on and finish wrapping. 

3 hours ago, LucasJ said:

Would a couple wraps around the hair itself help? Before I wrap it to the hook. 

No.  You need to grip it tightly to the hook so it can not slide then put a few tight wraps to hold it.  I'll bet smalljaw has a video that will show you how he does it.  You might look him up on You tube.

Are you tying on a treble hook? If so how big and are you trying to tie a clump of hair in one spot so you can add another color in a different area?  I'm asking the last part because I normally want the hair to go around evenly unless I'm wanting to keep colors separated. For a treble hook you need to tie on the flat spots first and then pinch the hair as close as you can to the ends. Then make 2 or 3 loose wraps, just tight enough to hold the hair in place and then make another wrap but make it tight. The loose wraps will keep the hair from moving completely around the hook but "loose" is a relative term, it takes practice until you develop the feel for it. You want the wraps loose enough that the hair doesn't work around the hook but tight enough that when you make the tight wrap the previous wraps hold the hair in that spot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smalljaw said:

Are you tying on a treble hook? If so how big and are you trying to tie a clump of hair in one spot so you can add another color in a different area?  I'm asking the last part because I normally want the hair to go around evenly unless I'm wanting to keep colors separated. For a treble hook you need to tie on the flat spots first and then pinch the hair as close as you can to the ends. Then make 2 or 3 loose wraps, just tight enough to hold the hair in place and then make another wrap but make it tight. The loose wraps will keep the hair from moving completely around the hook but "loose" is a relative term, it takes practice until you develop the feel for it. You want the wraps loose enough that the hair doesn't work around the hook but tight enough that when you make the tight wrap the previous wraps hold the hair in that spot. 

Yes I’m tying on trebles. 4,6,8. And what you said makes perfect sense. I was holding the clump too far back and wrapping to tight on the first wrap. Thanks everyone for the help!  Also I’m loving the Danville flat waxed thread. I’ll never go back to GSP. 

• Like 1