datguy.dev

6" Double Barrel Headbanger Shad Progress thread

Greetings,

My take on headbangerlures "headbanger" lures. :D 100% redesigned in CAD and 3D printed by myself. I called it the double barrel... because its butt looks like a side-by-side shotgun for two soft tails. I kinda' needed two tails for a larger bait. I haven't tested these it yet; obviously. But I have 2"/4" versions of this that Bass like to bite at. This is that, revised, and scaled up. I thought I'd try and do the same for musky etc.

I plan on making about 5 of them if you have any color or pattern suggestions. I've already committed one to a bone with red dust speckle in the clear coat with those crawfish like plastic tails. 

IMG_20190411_194810.jpg

030f00144cbda8f57fffd2cb06983582_preview_featured.jpg

• Thanks 1

What are you all opinions purple hard baits? I'm thinking of doing one in a dark blue from the top, fade to purple in the middle, and fade to white on the bottom. I have heard many refer to the color purple as seasonal much like a bubblegum color. A lure you pull out when nothing is biting... I do this with soft baits. But I don't see many hard baits with these colors.

I tend to do a strange color combo in all of my batches if you have any suggestions?

Edited by datguy.dev

I have made some hardbaits and spinnerbaits that are dark blue on top, purple sides (sometime with blue stripes or scales) and a pink belly. They work well in low light conditions and stained water.

I was replicating the tequila sunrise color of an old Strike King spinnerbait  from the 1990s that had a mix of 40 blue and purple strands and 10 pink strands on the belly. I had alot of success with that bait. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JD_mudbug said:

I have made some hardbaits and spinnerbaits that are dark blue on top, purple sides (sometime with blue stripes or scales) and a pink belly. They work well in low light conditions and stained water.

I was replicating the tequila sunrise color of an old Strike King spinnerbait  from the 1990s that had a mix of 40 blue and purple strands and 10 pink strands on the belly. I had alot of success with that bait. 

Didn't Jimmy Houston win a lot of money with that spinnerbait?

Yes, I believe he did. When I first started fishing spinnerbaits, I got the 2 spinnerbaits I kept seeing in magazines- the chartruese and white double Indiana Mann's spinnerbait used by Hank Parker and that Strike King one that came in tandem or double colorado. The Strike King blades had ridges on them at that time.

When I was younger, I was such a sucker for those magazine pictures of a huge bass with a lure hanging out of its mouth. I did catch a lot of fish on those spinnerbaits. The Helicopter lure - not so much.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Nice looking work 

how’s the action? 

They're not like a crankbait, so I can't really say they have any particular action. Adding, the trailer is customizable and that affects the action a bit or weight distribution.

They mostly free fall slowly when idle. You can jerk it like a glidebait to get that sort of action. Constantly reeling them in feels more like a swimbait that darts in random directions. But you can use all different type of reeling style to get a desired effect.

Edited by datguy.dev