bryanmc

Quetion for the guys using danville 210 nylon

I'm trying to love the Danville 210 denier flat waxed nylon but it's always been a pain.  I got to looking closer today as I was tying some jigs and it looks like it's frayed coming out of my bobbin.  I currently use a couple ceramic tipped bobbins and both of them are doing it.  What bobbin are you guys that use this stuff regularly using. 

Thanks

I have some very cheap and very expensive bobbins and they all work great with this thread , ( be careful while threading not to snag the thread itself ) Petitjean adjustable is one of my favorites .Sometimes while tying it's easy catch the hook point causing it to fray or when whip finishing the hook of the actual whip finisher can pull out a couple strands causing the same look or " blowout " . If you are a right hand tier as you lay down the thread wraps it begins to put a clockwise twist in , that helps to keep all the nylon together , when you don't want the build up of the corded thread spin counter clockwise to flatten out thread ,. Tightline videos will help ,

Hope this helps

I'm a lefty (usually the root of most of my issues LOL).   It's not the hook point or the whip finish tool.  I can start a few wraps and pull straight out and will see "hairs coming off the thread.  I'm thinking the ceramic tip may be grooved but I can't see it by looking.

Apdriver gave you a good way to check your bobbin. Remember to check not only where it comes out but also where the thread enters the tube. What you are describing typically happens when there is a small burr but I haven't encountered that with any of my ceramic bobbins. 

• Like 2