Rpc

Soft plastic molds

Need some advice. A week ago I got the idea to start pouring baits. I’ve been working with wood for a while but i want to get into soft plastics. I’ve been doing tons of research and I think I’ve got most of it figured out I just wanted some clarification on mold design before I jump into it. I’d like to be able to pour my baits in layers of different colors, this would be easy to achieve with an open pour mold. I was wanting to do injection for better quality but not exactly sure how you could pour in layers. You could have the injection tube in the top of the bait but then it’s a guessing game on when to stop pouring between layers because you can’t demold to see where your at. Let me know if I’m right in my thinking and any advice would be appreciated. If there’s away to accomplish this with injection molds I just haven’t found the right thread or YouTube video to show me how yet haha. 

Edited by Rpc

You need a dual injector.  Basically, it's two individual injectors bolted together with a single handle, and a blending block that sits on top of the mold, to direct the two different colors of plastic down into the mold side by side, without mixing.  

Do a search here to find more about dual injectors.

Yeah I looked into it. I still don’t really like how u don’t have a lot of control over the levels. With the dual injectors it’s just 50/50 split. I was looking more at doing most of the body 1 color and just a skim of white for a base. I guess to accomplish this it has to be open pour. I guess as long as I’m careful with the mold and the master quality should still be good.

I'm pretty sure one of the companies who makes and sells injectors has a setup to use two different diameter injectors.  Often I'll partially hand pour a mold, close it, and then single color inject it to get the affect I want.  I do buzz frogs that way.  In fact I go further in some cases.  I keep a few frogs in my box with black spots on a white belly.  I make a few dots of black with a rod, pour some white over it, close the mold and shoot the back in black.  

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

I'm pretty sure one of the companies who makes and sells injectors has a setup to use two different diameter injectors.  Often I'll partially hand pour a mold, close it, and then single color inject it to get the affect I want.  I do buzz frogs that way.  In fact I go further in some cases.  I keep a few frogs in my box with black spots on a white belly.  I make a few dots of black with a rod, pour some white over it, close the mold and shoot the back in black.  

I do the same thing. I regularly hand pour one side of my injection molds before closing it up and injecting the other side. For some laminates, I prefer this to the dual injector b/c it gives me a cleaner break between colors. I know some forum members have had issues with delamination when they do this, but it's never been an issue for me.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

This is also what I do with some of my molds, flukes, stingers and craws mainly. You can get pretty creative hand pouring the bottom and then shooting the top. I have been able to get craws with 4 different color by hand pouring 2 colors on the bottom for the tail and body, a different color for the claws, and then shooting the 4th color for the top of the craw. Its time consuming but you can get some really unique baits. I have never had an issue with them coming apart either. I usually make sure I shoot the injector a little hotter than normal to make sure they bond well.

• Like 1

I have been told that Polysol remelts at a slightly lower temperature than some other plastics.  If that is true it might be a good choice for those first colors.  I never really tried it for that.  Chad sent me some samples and they are good plastic, but other than testing some simple baits I didn't do much else with it.  

• Like 1

Hand poured baits get bit. They don’t have to be 100% perfect. Just a thought. 

You could use a laminate plate for your injection mold 

Lurecraft sells a plastic dispensing gun. Perhaps that could help with layers but most likely it sounds like practicing and feel is going to get you the results you’re looking for with either method. 

• Like 1