Jump to content
Jonah

what plastic do you use?

Recommended Posts

I use:

M n F super soft (one of the best) 

lurrcraft (also good )

Calhouns(good and inexpensive)

dead on ( inexpensive and can take multiple reheats)

Each one has the own pro’s and con’s . It’s all in what your looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, wallyc14 said:

I use:

M n F super soft (one of the best) 

lurrcraft (also good )

Calhouns(good and inexpensive)

dead on ( inexpensive and can take multiple reheats)

Each one has the own pro’s and con’s . It’s all in what your looking for.

Missing a few of the  bigger ones below:

Baitplastics.com

ispikeit.com

store.do-itmolds.com

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used quite a bit of MF, but have recently switched to baitplastics (polysol).  Everybody has one or two they prefer, you just need to try them and find what works for what you do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bryanmc said:

I used quite a bit of MF, but have recently switched to baitplastics (polysol).  Everybody has one or two they prefer, you just need to try them and find what works for what you do.

and what do you think of the switch ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I'm pleased with polysol.  I accidentally had a batch get to almost 400 (on my ir thermometer) and it didn't yellow.  I also like that is seems to have a dry finish, as opposed to MF whick seems to get a little oily after a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bryanmc said:

So far I'm pleased with polysol.  I accidentally had a batch get to almost 400 (on my ir thermometer) and it didn't yellow.  I also like that is seems to have a dry finish, as opposed to MF whick seems to get a little oily after a while.

awesome !

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys think the appendages of baits made with baitplastics medium are stretchier then they were  when using medium in other brands. I have used lureworks & baitjunkys( calhouns) & they were definitely tougher with it. At first i didn't think i was going to like it, but baitplastics is growing on me since it seems to take heat very good & the colors of the baits seems to be more clear & shiny & show the glitter better using the same identical recipies. I may try some medium hard next time i shoot & see how it compares to medium in the other two. I will say though that i was completely happy with both baitjunkys & lureworks. 

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started using Dead On last night.  It was, well, different.  I ordered the swim bait blend mostly because those are the only molds I own so far.  It was somewhat tackier and took longer to firm up than the Do-It and MF plastic that I've tried.  I guess I'm not used to it being more difficult to clean the drippings off of the desk and clean out the injectors.  It did cure overnight and seems to be softer than the previous two (which I do like).  It also seemed to have much less smell and did not yellow after repeated heatings.  Given the last few comments, I'll take a look at the Bait Plastics.  Any specific comments on Bait Plastics would be appreciated.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only things i'm seeing for myself that doesn't exactly suit me with the baitplastics plastisol is that it seems stretchier & softer in the same medium grade than the other 2 i've used.  I think medium hard or even hard would cure that problem.  I also think it is tackier when i first demold than the other 2 by far. It does cure good & clear for transparent colors & also lets the glitter show pretty easily for colors that aren't extremely transparent/  It's like anything else in that it has it's goods & bads. I like it, but am not yet completely satisfied with it so i don't know which brand i'll go with when i use it up. I may be to picky i don't know, but i do like lureworks an awful lot too.

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 2:47 PM, joe406 said:

I just started using Dead On last night.  It was, well, different.  I ordered the swim bait blend mostly because those are the only molds I own so far.  It was somewhat tackier and took longer to firm up than the Do-It and MF plastic that I've tried.  I guess I'm not used to it being more difficult to clean the drippings off of the desk and clean out the injectors.  It did cure overnight and seems to be softer than the previous two (which I do like).  It also seemed to have much less smell and did not yellow after repeated heatings.  Given the last few comments, I'll take a look at the Bait Plastics.  Any specific comments on Bait Plastics would be appreciated.

Joe

I think they are both polysyllabic.  Just different brand names and maybe blends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Walking Dead said:

I think they are both polysyllabic.  Just different brand names and maybe blends.

Polysol / Bait Plastics stopped supplying Dead on last year from what they told me.  Dead on has a new supplier and resales.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walking Dead said:

I think they are both polysyllabic.  Just different brand names and maybe blends.

What do you mean by polysyllabic?  Is that both polysol?  I see, my auto correct tried to do the same to me!  Thanks,

Joe

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished a gallon of Bait Plastics' medium, which I found to be too soft for my baits, and ordered a gallon of their med/saltwater, hoping it will be more like the Baitjunkys med. I used to use.

Adding softener is much easier than adding hardener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, mark poulson said:

I just finished a gallon of Bait Plastics' medium, which I found to be too soft for my baits, and ordered a gallon of their med/saltwater, hoping it will be more like the Baitjunkys med. I used to use.

Adding softener is much easier than adding hardener.

Mark, that's exactly how i feel. I mixed some medium & hard 50-50 lastnight to see how it cures, Hopefully it does better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's amazing, As there soft was like medium. I know they have worked on a few things recently, But i don't think any of it has came to market yet. If you really like the dead on plastic, Try out chemionics. I have samples of both. If i was a betting man, its from the same batch..

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

That's amazing, As there soft was like medium. I know they have worked on a few things recently, But i don't think any of it has came to market yet. If you really like the dead on plastic, Try out chemionics. I have samples of both. If i was a betting man, its from the same batch..

 

 

I haven't heard of this.  How do you like it and how does it compare to the others?

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...
Top