datguy.dev

I want to make a hard bait of a soft frog ... ???

Greetings,

I love to use these frogs:

livetarget_hollow_frog_yellow_black.jpg?

I make hard baits, crankbaits, swimbaits etc. and wanted to attempt making one of these frogs ... but with a hard body. Which is an obvious issue when it comes to the hooks. It's super easy to add hooks to such a body. However, the greatest thing about the soft frog's design is it is exceptionally weedless and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that feature at all.

Currently, what I'm thinking to do is ... Looking at the image - just angle the hooks up. Most fishermen who use these frogs tend to bend the hooks up anyhow. Then add two brushes like Bass jigs behind the frogs eyes. I don't know if you'd consider those brushes to be as weedless as a soft frog. I've had some snags before with Bass jigs. I do think I want to do something interesting with the tail like add a screw on trailer + the skirts.

I don't know. I thought I'd ask for some advice just to review some different ideas to make a better hard frog?

Edited by datguy.dev

Take a look at the old wooden frog baits.  They went about it in a few ways in regards to hooks. 

While not a frog  I used to fish a lot of Norman weed walkers and they had a single hook with wire weed guard.  Hook up percentage drops a little but usually no big deal as if you have two rods rigged up (should when fishing these style baits) a senko or fluke can be tossed into the blow up area and get slammed.   

17 minutes ago, Travis said:

Take a look at the old wooden frog baits.  They went about it in a few ways in regards to hooks. 

While not a frog  I used to fish a lot of Norman weed walkers and they had a single hook with wire weed guard.  Hook up percentage drops a little but usually no big deal as if you have two rods rigged up (should when fishing these style baits) a senko or fluke can be tossed into the blow up area and get slammed.   

Do you have any references so I know what to look for. I see a lot with exposed hooks or trebles.

1 hour ago, datguy.dev said:

Do you have any references so I know what to look for. I see a lot with exposed hooks or trebles.

A while back I made some hard frogs out of PVC, using double frog hooks that hung from the bottom of the bait, and pivoted up on the strike.  Small magnets held the hook points tight to the frog body until the strike.  After that, I began making them with single Owner Beast hooks, and the hookup ratio was much better.  For some reason I didn't post pictures of the single hook version, but here are some of the double hook version:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/profile/14932-mark-poulson/content/page/5/?type=gallery_image

10 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

A while back I made some hard frogs out of PVC, using double frog hooks that hung from the bottom of the bait, and pivoted up on the strike.  Small magnets held the hook points tight to the frog body until the strike.  After that, I began making them with single Owner Beast hooks, and the hookup ratio was much better.  For some reason I didn't post pictures of the single hook version, but here are some of the double hook version:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/profile/14932-mark-poulson/content/page/5/?type=gallery_image

Interesting. The magnet hook mechanism is very interesting! ... I'm on version one however. :D

Many of vintage top waters can be used for reference don't stick to frogs.  All will typically have wire hook protectors used in different ways..  The vintage soft plastic frogs used similar.   Many are just comical in their approach.    Also will come across hinge/spring style where top half of the lure closes to expose hook.  Few listed below.   Not many modern day versions since rubber frogs far surpassed the fish ability of wooden frogs.

Some references (some modern day versions):  Temptor frog, Surebite, Jamison Hasting's, Creek Chub weed bug and frog, South Bend Oreno frog, Heddon's Weedless Widows Frog, Heddon Pop Frog fly, Killer Walk The Frog, Single hook pikie minnow (spring loaded), Moon light 99% weedless,   Heddon Soft Ruber Frog (1907), Heddon Conrad Frog, Babbit Weedless (hinge design with spring),and Bite Em bug (used weed guarded trebles several other did the same).

• Like 1