BigFish1973

Clear coat

I use Diamond clear to clear coat my baits. I have to dip them due to the quantities I make. I have a hell of a time keeping it from setting up in my jars and I line the tops with zip lock bags before screwing the top on. If I go to the tap the can method how is that gonna work when I'm dipping my baits? I have to have a good bit to dip into. Any suggestions?

43 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

You're doing something wrong. With the bloxygen, I can keep a quart for months and never have it skim over. Just barely crack the lid and shoot the bloxygen for 2 seconds and close the lid. Works every time.

I would use it and right before I sealed it back up I would barely lift lid spray it in there and then seal it.

3 hours ago, 21xdc said:

I dip and it lasts me a long time w/o bloxygen…  I bet you have the lid off for too long at a time. I might do 10 baits at a time.  I also use a mason jar and keep the product clean from the lid/rim. 

That's what I use is Mason jars. Also I dip quick to ensure that it's not open long. 

Does anyone know of the best NON MCU clear coat. Is MCU even best to use anyway? I mean I'm just trying to get some ideas on what I should be using.

I'm thinking seriously about just using tap the can method and just dispense out little at a time and brush it on then hang them up to dry. But how do you get the stuff out of a brush once it starts setting up?

I use the tap the can method of storage for my Dick Nite S81 MCU.  Dispense a little into a cup, quickly flood coat a lure with a brush and hang it to dry/harden.  Clean the brush with any solvent you like - I use lacquer thinner.  This is almost as fast as dipping and you don’t have to worry about hardening in the can.

1 minute ago, BobP said:

I use the tap the can method of storage for my Dick Nite S81 MCU.  Dispense a little into a cup, quickly flood coat a lure with a brush and hang it to dry/harden.  Clean the brush with any solvent you like - I use lacquer thinner.  This is almost as fast as dipping and you don’t have to worry about hardening in the can.

How many do you usually coat at a time before you ever start cleaning your brush?

Well, I usually build in batches of 6 baits.  When I say “flood coat”, I mean filling the brush and very quickly coating the bait with MCU that will drip off to a leveled coating.  Takes maybe 5-10 seconds per bait. So my MCU brush is exposed for only a minute during coating 6 baits before I dunk it into solvent.  I’ve used the same cheap flat nylon bristled artist brush for the last 6-7 years.

• Like 1