joe406

Modify swim bait weighted hook mold

8 hours ago, joe406 said:

Looking for detailed guidance on making my Do It mold accept smaller hooks without seepage (YouTube, pictures written). I’m sure a thread exists but I can’t find it. A redirect is appreciated.

Joe

If you are concerned about lead seepage down a hook shank, well some times that is a good thing. Because, being a smaller hook, this will let air escape when your cavity fills with lead and not giving you any bad pours from trapped air. I usually just cut off the lead overflow down the hook shank with a pair of dykes.  If you want to fill it use high temp silicone (it's red). Here are the steps.

1.  Fill the cavity you need on 1/2 of the mold with High temp silicone.

2. Smooth over, so it's flat with the mold half. 

3. Put the hook where you want it and press it in place.

4. The hook will displace excess silicon, so now remove excess silicon around hook shank. Make sure you hold the hook in place so it doesn't move.

5. Let thoroughly dry(cure)

6. Next day, slowly take hook out of silicone mold (you may have to slice it out with a razor). Be careful not to pull the silicone out.

7. Once you have the hook out, take a single edge razor blade and shave off (clean) all of the excess silicone on the mold half so it will close tight.

8. Do the same thing on the other mold half so both halve will center the hook in the mold cavity.

If you want a permanent fix, you can use JB Weld instead of silicone .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1