jcori3

Help with KBS

So I finally decided to try the KBS diamond finish for a clear coat. I like the stuff but I’m having problems with it pooling up at the back of the bait just above the hook hanger. I have the wire for the tail hanger but still getting a lump down there. Any suggestions? Also it seems to leave a yellowish tint on the white bellies of my baits. I noticed it sure was yellow when I opened the can to put in a mason jar, almost like a pee color. Is this normal? Is it possible I got a old can? But my main complaint is the buildup right above the hook hanger. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I’m taking it back to get another can to try. I though something was wrong when I first went to open it I had to damn near cut the lid off. It just didn’t pop off like a can of paint does. I destroyed the lid getting it off but didn’t matter since I poured it into a mason jar.

• Like 1

So I took the kbs back, got a new can with a different lot number. Same thing, destroyed the lid getting it off. Put in mason jar. Still very yellow. Also yellow enough so that I can see it on white belly of bait. Still wanted to pool up on back end of bait. I took a brush and smoothed it out .  How long does it need to cure before putting hooks on it to test out?

My experience with the yellow KBS is not good, I have had no luck with it at all! If it is not clear I would not use it on baits.

I have literally dipped with both clear and yellow KBS with the same baits at the same time, the clear comes out flawless while the yellow baits are throw away baits. IMO

Hope you have better luck. 

Update!!

took first can back to summit racing and they gave me a new can with a different lot number with no hassle at all. Got home opened up second can and exactly the same as first. Emailed kbs directly and sent pics of product, lid of can, and baits I had dipped and had a yellowish tint on the white bellies. They replied back and said product was no good!!! Do not use!! They are sending me a new can at no charge. So we will see how new can is. I’ll update when I get new can.

• Like 1

Ok everyone I just wanted to drop in and give an update. Got a fresh new can of kbs from the kbs company directly. I want to let everyone know that kbs did a wonderful job on my situation. They were very polite and helpful in fixing my issues of getting two bad cans from a retail store. They sent out a new can for me at no cost and then contacted me a few days later to make sure all was good. It’s nice to still see great customer service is still out there.

I still had problems with the kbs pooling up at the tail of the bait after dipping it with a wire. I also had the wire on the tail but it still wanted to pool up and leave small bubbles on the tail. I did thin the kbs with xylene by 20%. Thinning it made a difference. I found for me to produce a perfect bait was to dip bait, while holding it  by the wire on the nose and letting it drip till the drips pretty much stop I take a pair of hemostats and snap on to the belly hook hanger and put it on the turner. No more pooling up on the tail and no more bubbles. By the way bubbles only form when the kbs pools up, I have done several baits now that are bubble free and look amazing. 

Last I want to thank 21xdc! He has been very helpful with helping me with advice and answering questions I had going into this switchover. Getting to know him has been an absolute pleasure! I consider him a good friend.  Maybe this will help others out when or if they switch over to kbs. 

• Like 1

you are lucky i didn't get the same good customer service with envirotex .they literally told me to using even if it was yellow as urine.they said inside the box that you got one years to use it .but there is not date of fabrication anywhere. never again thee is nothing more frustrating to got a junk customer service .art resin cost more but its a lot better ,they got nothing to hide.you see right trough the bottle . good luck . give an update if you got a chance ,i would like to try that for plastic lure with light action that would be ruined whit thick erpoxy