The Guy

Screw eye size

Hey guys,

I recently started making lures and have been using cotter pins epoxied in for line ties and hook hangers but I want to start using screw eyes for more security.  I tried the local hardware store but they were all too big, so I will have to order on line but am unsure of the sizes.  

What size would you recommend for bass lures 3-5” long made of basswood?

thanks

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Screw-Eyes/Stainless-Screw-Eyes.html

1/2 inch lenght  probably the common length used for bass cranks.

A properly glued line/hook tie will hold just as well as a screw eye.  You can also make your own twist eyes if you want also.  That takes away the adhesion issue as you now are anchoring the tie into the glue.  So glue strength one variable and then the other is wood/glue bond strength.  The epoxies and super glues typically used are stronger than the wood so your crank will give out first.

• Like 3

I make bass baits and use soft temper stainless .041” diameter wire from McMaster-Carr online. Soft temper wire is malleable enough that you can bend it accurately by hand without a dedicated wire bending tool but plenty strong enough for bass baits.  Bend the wire over a nail or drill bit sized for the eye you want and then twist the ends together with vise grips to form a shaft of whatever length you need.  I like the ability to cook up screw eyes customized to any bait building purpose.

• Like 2