SugarHillBaits

3D printing stencils

There was another recent post on the same subject.

Basically, you need to model your lure body in CAD in order to communicate with the printer. There is no way around this. Learning CAD is daunting, but is not that difficult if you are prepared to put in the hours.

I will add; if you go to the trouble of teaching yourself CAD, you will have to use it regularly even if you do not have a project on the go. In between projects, I like to get in at least an hour or two per week. Fail to take this advice and you will have to learn from scratch every time you start a new project. CAD is NOT like riding a bicycle.

Dave

• Like 1

Stencils can be fairly difficult to 3D print. You have to go really slow and tune your settings to avoid stringing to get a clean result.

The easiest way to go about creating a stencil is to use Fusion360 (free). Find a design online in the svg format. Import the svg into Fusion then extrude it 1 or 2mm. Export to STL. Import STL model into your slicer software. There are also stencils already available on thingiverse etc.

I make stencils in PLA and use a heatgun at 100F to form it to the body of the bait. Make two sides and clamp it together. Others have made molds the bait goes into.

Edited by datguy.dev
  • Like 1