Kwalter32

Does this mean the plastic is burnt?

Yeah, I would say its burnt. Anytime you get smoke, the plastic is to hot and needs to be cooled off before burning beyond use. I would try stirring as you heat it to keep a more uniform temperature until you get a feel for how fast the bunsen burner heats up.

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

Yeah, I would say its burnt. Anytime you get smoke, the plastic is to hot and needs to be cooled off before burning beyond use. I would try stirring as you heat it to keep a more uniform temperature until you get a feel for how fast the bunsen burner heats up.

Ok thanks. I figured the some was just from it getting hot. I stir it with the thermometer needle but it seems to jump around on temp since the burner goes on and off 

• Like 1

It might be only 320F where your reading with your thermometer; especially if it is an IR type. Right where that flame is hitting that pan that plastic is probably easily 400F +. Its called a "hot spot". Constant stirring will help but with that setup you'll never not burn plastic. For a small amount like that you cant beat a cheap microwave.

Did you add any hardener to that mix? That may explain the blob that wont mix in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, McLuvin175 said:

It might be only 320F where your reading with your thermometer; especially if it is an IR type. Right where that flame is hitting that pan that plastic is probably easily 400F +. Its called a "hot spot". Constant stirring will help but with that setup you'll never not burn plastic. For a small amount like that you cant beat a cheap microwave.

Did you add any hardener to that mix? That may explain the blob that wont mix in.

I have hardener but wasnt sure how much to add to 4oz of plastic or when. I'm just going to get a microwave for the garage. 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:18 AM, mark poulson said:

Be sure you mix in your hardener completely before you heat your plastic, or you will get lumps.

+1 if your using the thicker type hardner you will want to add some heat  stabilizer . Mix the crap out of it .  In general my rule of thumb is:

4 oz soft plastic 

teaspoon of hardner gives me medium soft

table spoon gives me a medium hard

both require 5-10 drops of heat stabilizer 

• Like 1

You need a thicker pan the thin metal will hot spot with the burner. I will agree with the others on microwave thrift stores are a good place to get one cheap or a return store. Also some plastisol turns yellow easier than others. Been there done that. Mix with black or dark colors when u get some that yellows Cub48

• Like 1