Tiderunner

Hardener

Recently bought a quart of LureWorks hardener and having an issue with it. Whenever I heat it, it seems to burn, or turn into lumps and these lumps turn reddish purple ruining whatever bait I happen to be making. I have had problems with the hardener on reheated plastic, and new plastisol. I'm not new at pouring and never had this problem before. Any idea whats going on with this. I used MF hardener in the past without issue. I only bought the LW because I had an order there, and was running low. I have a full quart. too much to to toss.

This is happening whether I add at the beginning of the heating or during. Nothing seems to change the outcome. Ideas?

Add  stir, heat remove stir, heat remove stir, heat remove stir. This stuff is almost like a caulk. The other brands I've used were liquid.

This stuff though certainly making the plastic hard, just doesn't seem to want to stir in completely. I beat the hell out of the stuff, and still won't mix in completely. It just seems to turn into lumps in the plastisol.

3 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

Add  stir, heat remove stir, heat remove stir, heat remove stir. This stuff is almost like a caulk. The other brands I've used were liquid.

This stuff though certainly making the plastic hard, just doesn't seem to want to stir in completely. I beat the hell out of the stuff, and still won't mix in completely. It just seems to turn into lumps in the plastisol.

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad batch.  Contact LureWorks and tell them what's going on.

• Like 1

Sounds like the hardner is not getting mixed in enough. I have seen two types of hardner . The paste like type like Calhoun’s plastic and the almost watered down hardner like MnF . The watered down one is easy to mix in but takes more.also I  I believe they add  heat stabilizer to it . Which there’s nothing wrong with .Where as the paste type is a PIA to mix in and when I use it I add  Heat stabilizer to it . If I done mix the  crap out of it , it does what you’re describing .

• Like 1

Haven't been on in a while, but taken some advice from you all. I beat the hell out of it , stir and stir some more, and seems to work out ok.

Not a fan of the stuff, but I have a quart and it will last me until hell freezes over. Once hell thaws out I will go back to the M-F hardener.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, Tiderunner said:

Haven't been on in a while, but taken some advice from you all. I beat the hell out of it , stir and stir some more, and seems to work out ok.

Not a fan of the stuff, but I have a quart and it will last me until hell freezes over. Once hell thaws out I will go back to the M-F hardener.

seems to me, just for the PITA factor, throw it out and buy the MF stuff and dont force yourself to deal with the issue over a few dollars

why dont you just put your frustrations in the trash and move on? its not like you bought 5 gallons of it or something so toss out that $17 mistake and move on,  i know i wouldnt waste my time dealing with something that is so much trouble to use

Adding hardener needs to be dealt with the exact same way hard pack is, Mix the heck out of it. It will blend in. Your dealing with the strongest raw product available, If you want it to be easier, just thin it down like the others do, Im assuming they are cutting it with plasticizer, Kind of defeats the purpose but... and you still will have 10x the product for the same money. 

• Like 1