Dave, 

Could you be so kind and send me your calculation? kosticvladan@gmail.com

Just one question: I'm using balsa wood for my lures. If I submerge shaped piece of balsa into water, it will absorbs some of water. How to do Archimedes to get data about material density? Do you protect balsa lure with some coating before test?

Regards

Dave, I also usually add more lead than needed and drill and test, drill and test so a copy of your calculator would greatly improve the time needed to figure out the perfect buoyancy for the baits i am making.  I would love a peak at it if you could send it to my email.  Zachmtalbert@gmail.com      Thanks a ton man!  i cant wait to give my feedback!

Zach

1 hour ago, HokieMusky527 said:

Dave, I also usually add more lead than needed and drill and test, drill and test so a copy of your calculator would greatly improve the time needed to figure out the perfect buoyancy for the baits i am making.  I would love a peak at it if you could send it to my email.  Zachmtalbert@gmail.com      Thanks a ton man!  i cant wait to give my feedback!

Zach

Ballast calculator sent.

Dave

• Like 1

When I taught science we did a very thorough series of activities to learn exactly why things float in water and in different density liquids. After students got an intimate understanding of the real reason things float, they could explain how a multi million lb block of steel could be turned into an aircraft carrier that floated (and that it has nothing to do with the amount of air in it which is what everyone thinks), why weather happens, how the continents move on the planet and a plethora of other physical happenings in the universe. I'm reminiscing how they could also apply this to lures if they had a mind to. 

Another interesting point is that science just doesn't work in our standard system here in the United States. The metric system is designed to be able to explain the world mathematically.

I'll bet you had good science teachers.....

• Like 1

Dgagner - great post.

To be totally honest, I did not understand this shit in school or college. I only figured it out when I started this lure journey. I can only put this down to the fact that my teachers had no practical application of the Archimede's theorem and so could not explain in practical terms.

But, we have a practical explanation here. A chance to really understand heavy science. Archimede's was a lure designer :)

Dave

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Dgagner - great post.

To be totally honest, I did not understand this shit in school or college. I only figured it out when I started this lure journey. I can only put this down to the fact that my teachers had no practical application of the Archimede's theorem and so could not explain in practical terms.

But, we have a practical explanation here. A chance to really understand heavy science. Archimede's was a lure designer :)

Dave

And that, sadly, is entirely possible. Density calculations are actually simple but can tell us a lot. And, as the need arose your were able to manage on your own. A very good sign indeed.

4 hours ago, DGagner said:

And that, sadly, is entirely possible. Density calculations are actually simple but can tell us a lot. And, as the need arose your were able to manage on your own. A very good sign indeed.

Sounds like the accountant's moto, "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure."  Hahaha

Lure design is a lot about volume and mass. I did not say ALL because many of you believe that aesthetics play an important part. Personally I am not a believer.

Mass or weight is an easy assessment; I own a 500gm scale that measures to two decimal digits of accuracy, equivalent to 0.00035oz, as good as it gets.

Measurement of volume is a little more technical. You can multiply X,Y & Z to get an accurate volume of a block of wood, but that does not help with a complex shaped lure.

You can use a displacement method (which I extensively experimented with) by weighing the displaced water by immersing a lure in a full container. But way too inaccurate for what we need for lure design.

With a gram scale with an accuracy of 0.01g, or even 0.1g, you can predict volume to the same accuracy. Plus, you do not need any additional equipment other than an accurate gram scale. All you need is Archimede’s principal.

Once you have accurate numbers for weight and volume, you no longer need float testing.

The units of density are g/cm³. In other words, divide the weight by the volume in metric and the result is density. Fresh water has a density of 1.000, Sea water 1.025.

Assemble a complete lure, apply Archimedes, and it will tell you how much ballast to apply.

Dave

• Like 1

I'm glad this was brought back to the top!  I had an aha moment reading the Archimede's post from Dave.  Not that I've really put it to practice, it finally made sense! (sorta).   Could I get that calculator too? Thanks for all the work.  

Trevor 

t_froese@hotmail.com