NoMi baits

Urethane clear coats??

Has anyone had success with this? I don’t have a turner, and being military and about a month away from deploying i can’t justify buying the parts to build one atm, so i have been clear coating my baits with urethane. I only started making baits a month ago or so and haven’t been able to see how long this method holds up. I’m hoping maybe some others have tried this?

I watch a video with a coated lure by my side, clamped in a pair of Spencer-Wells artery clamping forceps. I up-end the lure every 5 minutes and get pretty good results. It is very little effort having gone to the trouble of building the lure in the first place. It is just a part of the process.

Dave

• Like 1

We all use different top coats. I like D2T so about an hour is more than enough.

If you have a basic workshop, it is very easy to set up a simple turner. Do some reading, buy a slow motor and get stuck in. It is strangely rewarding to see your work turning :)

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Urethane will hold up just fine. It does kind of depend on the type urethane your using but get that debate started and you will be deployed before it's over.

Your not married to the bait. Clearcoat it and enjoy!

Safe travels and cone home safe from deployment. From one veteran to another thank you for your service!

Edited by bladesandbaits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, Vodkaman said:

We all use different top coats. I like D2T so about an hour is more than enough.

If you have a basic workshop, it is very easy to set up a simple turner. Do some reading, buy a slow motor and get stuck in. It is strangely rewarding to see your work turning :)

Dave

I wish! Lol i live on post so my “workshop” is two folding tables on the front porch, a few tools, an airbrush, and a bunch of paint lol. But i just order some diamond clear coat and I’ve heard of people dipping that and hanging a wire off the bottom to keep it from pooling so i think I’ll give that a try and see how it goes! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bladesandbaits said:

Urethane will hold up just fine. It does kind of depend on the type urethane your using but get that debate started and you will be deployed before it's over.

Your not married to the bait. Clearcoat it and enjoy!

Safe travels and cone home safe from deployment. From one veteran to another thank you for your service!

Good to know! And from an active duty to a vet, thank you for paving the way!

jake

• Like 1