Cuttem Jack

Sealing lead weights in lure bodies

I’m trying to find a better option for sealing my weights in lure blanks. Right now I’m using plumbers putty and every now and then it’s cracking my epoxy topcoat. I believe it’s because of the hardness of putty and it’s pushing out on epoxy and cracking it when it gets warm out. Any suggestions?

I use the baking soda and superglue as Nathan stated when the lure will have a white belly. Baking soda and superglue dries to an off-white color and doesn't leave a shadowy spot beneath white paint. If I am filling a deeper hole, I fill it partially with baking soda, add the glue, let dry and repeat until I get built up. It dries real quick.

I use epoxy on baits that will have a non-white belly. I typically will mix sawdust in with the epoxy. I have a couple of ziplock bags of saw dust of different types of wood collected from when I clean my belt sander.

If I have a big hole to fill, say due to moving the ballast to a different spot, I will make a plug out of a small dowel and epoxy or glue it in. Likewise, If I put an screw eye in the wrong place, if will fill that with superglue and a toothpick, trim flush and seal with more superglue.

• Like 1

As Blackjack says..."Bondo is your friend"...been using this method for the last five or so years on my PVC Azek lures...easy to apply easier than most other options to sand smooth...iv'e had zero issues ...just my 2 cents...michel...Go Fish!!!

• Like 1