bass01

Heavy wire finesse jig hook

Does anybody make a wide gap short shank heavy wire bass jig hook for a finesse type jig  or are they all custom made ?  something like bitsy bug or a few other manufacturers size with  type, hook etc. I have tried searching and haven't come up with anything  Thanks

There are tons of heavy wire jig hooks, it just depends on specifics. Are you looking for a 60 degree, 90 degree, 30 or 45 degree? Flat eye, regular eye and do you want just a wide gap or an extra wide gap (EWG)? I'm asking because there are wide gap hooks that are not EWG and EWG hooks that are described as being a wide gap. For 90 degree there is the Owner 5316, a 2X strong version of the 5313 bit is only goes to a 2/0 and then there is the Trokar TK-840, it has a large gap but also a sproat bend so in addition to it being a heavy wire it is also stronger because of the bend. For a 60 degree regular eye hook I'd look at the 4/0 Gamakatsu 2034, it is an EWG style hook with heavy wire, 45 and 60 degree hooks with the EWG bend are typically shorter because the extra wire for the large gap is taken from the hook shank. Flat eye hooks there are a few good ones that will work. My favorite is what I use for my power finesse jig which is a 3/8oz ball head jig with a 3/0 Eagle Claw 2706 which is the same as the Mustad 32796. Then you have the Gamakatsu 5941, and the Trokar TK-805. If you want the EWG style hook in the flat eye there is the Mustad 38108 and the VMC 7328. The Bitsy Bug is nothing special, I believe it is just a 2/0 Mustad 32786 but I may be wrong, but the point is there are very few heavy hooks custom made for finesse jigs, most use a regular jig hook in a smaller size to keep it compact. I make a 5/8oz flipping jig for grass, it has a Mustad 32786 6/0 but if you looked at it in your hand you would think the hook was a 4/0 as it is compact for a 6/0 hook. Part of that is because of the head but the other reason is the 60 degree bend but if you give me some specifics on what type of hook you want based on the parameters I gave you along with what mold or head you want, I'm sure someone could recommend a hook that will work.

• Like 2

I was mostly looking for a 60 degree but would modify mold if there's a flat eye out there it just seemed to me that some finesse jigs had a hook that was a shorter shank with a wide gap but maybe its just a smaller size I just used the bitsy bug as an example. I just like to throw a jig that's a little more compact in the places I fish that has both Sm and Lg . I will look those up Thank you for your help