DoubleT

Securing Screw Eyes

Years ago, I did static tests. I hung a 20Ltr (44Lb) bucket of water for 48 hours. The SS eyes distorted but the test was a success but with some wood damage/distortion.

My new lure currently under development is going to be pushing the limits and will have to pass the 44Lb bucket test. I want to reduce the barrel twist eyes to 12mm length. I will be testing the prototypes with 10mm.

If the prototype passes the bucket test, I have plenty of 8Lb plus fish to test the real world application. I will be using runny CA glue in polyester resin bodies.

In wood bodies, I have always gone for 25mm (1") of glued length.

Dave

I plan on using a straight wire 4' long and hook on to the eye wire and slide a 1lb ball and see how it works then 2 lb and so on, using Dave's chart it will give me the pound pull is what the fish will be doing. Not sure about hanging a bucket of water.

Wayne

Don't kid yourself. Zero stretch means infinite load. It is pure engineering mathematics and Newton's laws.

It is referred to as 'conservation of energy'. Energy is not created or deleted. Energy exists and is merely transferred from one form to another, or transferred to another object.

Energy is added to the weight by the action of lifting it, potential energy. The object is dropped, kinetic energy. From here, the energy can be transferred to the ground as compression, floor fracture, depression etc, or can be dissipated as heat. BUT, the energy has to go somewhere, it cannot just stop at the end of a 4' drop.

Energy is a difficult concept to grasp, but mathematics rule in this case. Absolute limit (zero stretch / infinite load) concepts seem silly, but they are proven and real.

Try this: Carefully place a 100Lb steel weight on to your big toe. Yes, it hurts, it is heavy. Now, drop a 1Lb steel weight from 4 feet onto your toe. Now tell me which hurt more, and explain why!

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

20 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Don't kid yourself. Zero stretch means infinite load. It is pure engineering mathematics and Newton's laws.

It is referred to as 'conservation of energy'. Energy is not created or deleted. Energy exists and is merely transferred from one form to another, or transferred to another object.

Energy is added to the weight by the action of lifting it, potential energy. The object is dropped, kinetic energy. From here, the energy can be transferred to the ground as compression, floor fracture, depression etc, or can be dissipated as heat. BUT, the energy has to go somewhere, it cannot just stop at the end of a 4' drop.

Energy is a difficult concept to grasp, but mathematics rule in this case. Absolute limit (zero stretch / infinite load) concepts seem silly, but they are proven and real.

Try this: Carefully place a 100Lb steel weight on to your big toe. Yes, it hurts, it is heavy. Now, drop a 1Lb steel weight from 4 feet onto your toe. Now tell me which hurt more, and explain why!

Dave

E=Mc2

• Haha 1

I think differently about how much stress is applied to my bait's hardware attachments while fighting and landing a fish.

Even if I use 80 lb braid, there is a fishing rod between me and my lure, so there is no way to get an uninterrupted pull on my bait on the hookset.  Even when I'm landing the fish by grabbing the line, my hand and arm provide a kind of shock absorber.

So I don't think a dead drop load test has any place in my lure building.

Now, a static loading, like hanging a bucket for an hour, will show me if my glue creeps under prolonged load, but even that isn't very applicable to my lure making.

I test my hardware attachments by gripping the wire eye in some pliers and trying to remove it.  If the wire deforms or breaks before the attachment fails, I figure the attachment will work for my baits.

1 hour ago, mark poulson said:

Dave, it's not polite to laugh at me publicly.   Hahaha

just checking in I have been using a new kind of glue to hold my lure eyelets in it is called go2 glue it is made by locktite it takes 24 hours to cure but holds on very well!