HometownBait

Mold Storage/Display

Hey everyone!  I've started the long process of sorting all of my various tacklemaking supplies.  I've got a TON of lead molds, mostly do-it style, and I've been stumped on the best way to store them all so they're accessible and easy to identify.  I've got jigs, sinkers, lures and every shape and size.  Somewhere around 200 of em.

I've considered square cubbies like a wine rack or apothecary cabinet, pegboard, Rubbermaid totes, stacking on shelves... Etc. and none of them seem *just right*.  Google, Pinterest searches don't give much inspiration either. 

What does everyone do to sort and display their molds???

I keep some of mine in a cabinet on shelves. Shelves are numbered by column and row. I then can stack about 4 molds per column. Next I have a sheet on one of the shelves that has a list of every mold I have. On this sheet, each mold has the mold model number  and name along with a column number and a shelf number. If you are very meticulous on where you take them from and where you put them back, the sheet works fine. The mold will always be found where you put it back last time. I also keep all my mold model numbers on a spread sheet.

The ones I use regularly, I also keep on a shelf in a box. The box has the names of the mold I have in there. Also in these boxes, I keep all my football molds together in one box, all my round molds in another and all my spinnerbait molds yet in another.   This all works for me.

I'll take a pic later tonight.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

I went through mine and got rid of ones that I seldom use.  I'm down to a couple of dozen.  I have a set of shelves in the back of the garage behind my boat.  I keep my molds on the top of the shelves.  I took a small paint brush and labeled the end of one handle on the molds so I can just read the name of the one that I want and pull it down.

• Like 1

I can’t be much help except to say I have some experience with peg boarding molds. I thought it would be a pretty good method of storage too. So I put up the pegboard, bought the 12 inch long pegs for it thinking I could put a bunch of molds on one hook. I did that only to find out more than about two to a hook will eventually sag and pull that pegboard out of shape because of the excessive weight. Then they will slide down and fall off the pegs.

• Like 1

I cataloged all mine in a spreadsheet, printed out a list, had them closed on shelves with the number on the end of the wood handle showing so I could find it on my list, then looked for the number of handle. I had the shelves with numbers so I had location numbers on my list and still couldn't find what I was looking for when I needed a mold.  so I put them on peg board .The pic of my molds takes up a lot of room but at least if can find what I am looking for. and while looking for a mold i'll see one that i forgot i had, so that is helpful. 

doit molds.jpg

• Like 4

I just keep mine on some shelves.

It's just some used pressboard type shelving.

But I do group them together on the shelves.

Sinker molds on a bottom shelf, freshwater jig molds on another shelf, saltwater jig molds on the top shelf, etc.

I only have about a hundred and twenty molds though.

I do need to sit down and make a master list of everything I own just for easy reference. Especially when one of my friends will ask if I can make something and I know there's a mold for it but I can't remember if I own it.

9 hours ago, Kasilofchrisn said:

I just keep mine on some shelves.

It's just some used pressboard type shelving.

But I do group them together on the shelves.

Sinker molds on a bottom shelf, freshwater jig molds on another shelf, saltwater jig molds on the top shelf, etc.

I only have about a hundred and twenty molds though.

I do need to sit down and make a master list of everything I own just for easy reference. Especially when one of my friends will ask if I can make something and I know there's a mold for it but I can't remember if I own it.

A cellphone camera is your friend.

Very cool cabinet!!! Thanks everyone for the insights.  Dlaery that's a good idea with them all open, even tho it's some space.  I found some small stacking bins at wally world for $0.97 each.  I'm going to try to categorize em in those.  Post pics when it's all done!