jcori3

Kbs reaction to paint

Noticed after dipping some lures painted with the testers Aztec paint that the paint was running, I have also tried waiting 24 hours before I dip. Anyone else having the same problem with certain paints reacting with the kbs? 

Also is there a clear gloss I can spray over the lure to seal before I dip to keep color from running.

KBS has never had any effect on my paints. But I only use water base acrylics. I have had other clears ruin my paint though. Like concrete sealers, etc. 

EDIT... I looked up the paint you are using and found that they offer 2 different clear coats.. I'm not sure this would lock the color down.  "9495 Aztek® Clear Matte or 9496 Aztek® Clear Gloss"

I have had trouble with some Rustolium paints... And this paint you use is made by Rustolium… There must be something different in their paint.   

https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/9470A.pdf

Edited by 21xdc

Marc is right. The only way to solve the problem is find a barrier coat that will work for you. 

Remember regardless the barrier coat and even if it solves your KBS issue, I would recommend making sure your barrier coat bonds to whatever you apply it over. 

You can have the best / toughest top coat in the world and it's worthless if you don't have a 100% good bond with whatever is under it. 

• Like 1

When i painted with acrylics (almost all Testors Aztek), I did use the Aztek clear as a barrier coat before dipping in KBS. Yellows and Blues tend to run the most. If you use the Clear it will run less or not at all. I switched to lacquer based to avoid issues and to get a better bond