Soupysayso

Taking apart a glued crankbait?

OOPS! 8O I assembled some hard plastic crankbaits and forgot to add rattles as I first intended. Now I want to disassemble the baits without destroying them totally or having to buy new bodies and start over. Is there something to undo the epoxy I used to cement the two halves together. Devcon is the product in question. There are a set of "keys" as well. Fortunately, they did not get painted yet so it's not REAL bad just yet. I have limited knowledge of chemicals so if you name one, let me know where I can find it. Thanks for any/all help.

Soupy,

There is nothing that I know of that will disolve epoxy. If you do try any solvents they will disolve the bodies before anything else.

If they are loose beads I would try drilling a small hole in the back, inserting the beads, then sealing the hole before painting. This is just my opinion so I can't guarantee that it will work.

The other option is to make a lure without rattles.

Will MEK melt epoxy? Something in the back of my mind is saying something to that effect. Or maybe the voices are talking about something else. :D

You might try epoxying some spare plastic or acrylic together and test out some possibilited before actually applying it to your lures.

What is lure plastic? Polypropylene? Polyethelyne? Can't remember. I do know that you can use MEK as a cement on some plastics, so it would have a tendency to melt the plastic.

Maybe that's what the voices are mumbling about!?

Mojo,

MEK will not melt epoxy. It will however melt the lure body. When MEK is used to solvent weld bodies what happens is the solvent dissolves the plastic which allows it to melt together and reharden as the solvent evaporates. To much solvent can change the properties of the plastic causing it to remain soft.

Epoxy cures via a combination of chemical reaction and heat. There is nothing that I am aware of that can reverse this process once it has completed. Think of it as trying to soften concrete It just won't happen.