RedRum

Aluminum TIG welding for Dipping Rods

I would like to take up tig welding to get aluminum rods welded to aluminum and or steel. Very light pieces to be joined with minimal pressure on them and small welds. Tac welds would be strong enough to do the job. 

I know nothing about this but I would like to purchase a used welding kit and take it up as a new hobby. 

What I do know is I’ll need TIG but as far as what types of welders will accomplish this I have no clue. 

You need an AC tig machine and argon gas. They make small machines for welding thin gauge aluminum

but cost is pretty steep. A 200 amp Lincoln or Miller can run around 1800.00 to 3200.00.

If you can find a used one I would look at these two brands, Aluminum needs AC and pure argon with a tig torch.

If you look on internet there are online video's that teach you every thing you need. If you need to tack small rods 1/4" or

larger  you can use a mig machine with spool gun. I have the Hobart 190 with spool gun and it works good on 1/16 to

1/4" plate. But if you need anything smaller go with a tig machine. Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve tried that. Works good but the work needs to be done so close together that it heats up too much and breaks the braze. 

The reality here is that I don’t have the time to learn tig just yet and found that it was much easier and painless to have a welder do it

Edited by RedRum