phitans

color change

Hello,

I made some baits a few days ago, and was wondering why half way thru my cup of plastic, it changed color? It went from a nice amber with black flake to more of a watermelon color.

Any ideas why this happened?  Thanks

Edited by phitans

I add heat stabilizer because I do lots of reheats.  I also use high temp. polyester flake (Thank you Bait Junky) so the flake doesn't change the color of the bait.

12 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I add heat stabilizer because I do lots of reheats.  I also use high temp. polyester flake (Thank you Bait Junky) so the flake doesn't change the color of the bait.

Thanks!! do you add the stabilizier for every reheat, or just one time?

I add it when I first heat my plastic, and then again if I add more as I go.

I add 1/2 tsp+- to a cup of plastic, and just dribble in some more when I add more plastic to increase my pouring amount, along with more colorant and flake.

Odd. Turing towards a green shade doesn't make sense for reheats as it seems it would just turn your batch more amber. One explantion might be is you got the plastic hot enough to actually melt the glitter. Adding black color to a yellow(amber) will turn it towards the green shade. This would seem hard to do as you'd have to get that glitter to around maybe 450F to do that.  And when plastic is that hot you know it. Outside of that the only other thing I can think of is some outside contamination that snuck in somehow. (from your injector, stir stick, something)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLuvin175 said:

Odd. Turing towards a green shade doesn't make sense for reheats as it seems it would just turn your batch more amber. One explantion might be is you got the plastic hot enough to actually melt the glitter. Adding black color to a yellow(amber) will turn it towards the green shade. This would seem hard to do as you'd have to get that glitter to around maybe 450F to do that.  And when plastic is that hot you know it. Outside of that the only other thing I can think of is some outside contamination that snuck in somehow. (from your injector, stir stick, something)

That could be... Thank you!