bassmaster0726

Why does everyone paint now? Literally everyone

4 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I also build my own baits, but I also paint and fish baits from Predator and Dinger.  I always have a few of their baits tied on.

I am primarily interested in catching fish, and their baits do that better and more consistently than others.

VERY good to hear! If the blanks are at least of the quality of SK and other mass produced baits that is all I ever want and could ask for. Literally just doing this for myself...and literally only have plans to paint about 5-8 patterns. Im sure ill expand once I dive deeper into this hobby and have more time....but you nailed it. My ultimate goal in all of this is to catch fish! Im not artistic at all and would rather drink beers and watch sportscenter than get artsy....but I am picky and want what I want!  SK, 6th sense, rapala dont really nail the 2-3 colors I REALLY want....so just looking to fill that gap.

Dinger and predator are gonna be my boat baits...and if I feel like I get to that point, theyll be the ones I trade with other baitmakers. But if I throw them I dont want to ever have to think "is this bait trash" while im on the water and fishing...cuz thatll just mess with my confidence and we all know how important confidence is when fishing!

Thank you! I was really getting worried! LOL

4 hours ago, bockscar said:

VERY good to hear! If the blanks are at least of the quality of SK and other mass produced baits that is all I ever want and could ask for. Literally just doing this for myself...and literally only have plans to paint about 5-8 patterns. Im sure ill expand once I dive deeper into this hobby and have more time....but you nailed it. My ultimate goal in all of this is to catch fish! Im not artistic at all and would rather drink beers and watch sportscenter than get artsy....but I am picky and want what I want!  SK, 6th sense, rapala dont really nail the 2-3 colors I REALLY want....so just looking to fill that gap.

Dinger and predator are gonna be my boat baits...and if I feel like I get to that point, theyll be the ones I trade with other baitmakers. But if I throw them I dont want to ever have to think "is this bait trash" while im on the water and fishing...cuz thatll just mess with my confidence and we all know how important confidence is when fishing!

I hope they work out as well for you as they have for me.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, bockscar said:

You can always jsut repaint the current collection of lures you have that you trust the action on. If you really like the 6th sense and rapala, jsut repaint those to match the hatch locally. Takes all the question of blank quality out of it. Just my thoughts

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chonch12 said:

You can always jsut repaint the current collection of lures you have that you trust the action on. If you really like the 6th sense and rapala, jsut repaint those to match the hatch locally. Takes all the question of blank quality out of it. Just my thoughts

Yea, I already have some beaters that are on deck to be painted by myself once I get decent enough with the basic patterns im running. I really cant afford to buy name brand baits and just paint over them tho! lol

Im not really picky.....and in all honesty am kinda confused with the blank hate I read. NEW to this....but I saw blanks the same I saw strike king and other mass produced baits just unpainted. 6th sense has good paintjobs, but Ive actually never been the biggest fan of their blanks/bodies. I always liked and throw SK (Red eye shad caught me a 9+ and my go to lipless), but didnt have the exact patterns I wanted. But...when i decided to start painting I didnt think/want to drop down in bait quality and didnt think I was...as long as I bought the pricier ($2+ blanks from places like dinger and predator) blanks.

I figure as long as it runs, doesnt need to be true as long as its tuneable, and doesnt take on water....thats a good bait. Am I wrong? What issues come up using these blanks people like me are painting? Totally new to this...so I dont know what im in for. I figure some baits will be bad in that they take water (already got 1), but I also figured if you hollered at the maker they would make it right since Ive seen many mentions about good customer service at "XYZ Baits" AND....that happens with the brands in retail stores. EVEN to overpriced baits like megabass! Had a damn 110+1 sink on me!

So I know problems happen...but are they worse or way more prevalent with these chinese blanks that new painters are using?

Just now, bockscar said:

Yea, I already have some beaters that are on deck to be painted by myself once I get decent enough with the basic patterns im running. I really cant afford to buy name brand baits and just paint over them tho! lol

Im not really picky.....and in all honesty am kinda confused with the blank hate I read. NEW to this....but I saw blanks the same I saw strike king and other mass produced baits just unpainted. 6th sense has good paintjobs, but Ive actually never been the biggest fan of their blanks/bodies. I always liked and throw SK (Red eye shad caught me a 9+ and my go to lipless), but didnt have the exact patterns I wanted. But...when i decided to start painting I didnt think/want to drop down in bait quality and didnt think I was...as long as I bought the pricier ($2+ blanks from places like dinger and predator) blanks.

I figure as long as it runs, doesnt need to be true as long as its tuneable, and doesnt take on water....thats a good bait. Am I wrong? What issues come up using these blanks people like me are painting? Totally new to this...so I dont know what im in for. I figure some baits will be bad in that they take water (already got 1), but I also figured if you hollered at the maker they would make it right since Ive seen many mentions about good customer service at "XYZ Baits" AND....that happens with the brands in retail stores. EVEN to overpriced baits like megabass! Had a damn 110+1 sink on me!

So I know problems happen...but are they worse or way more prevalent with these chinese blanks that new painters are using?

Yup understand where you are coming from that buying new and repainting is too expensive. I was going by when you said

"I always just planned to get good enough to paint some patterns that match the hatch at my lake...and buy the "expensive" blanks and replace my  current collection with my custom painted blanks. "

replacing your current collection with blanks custom painted, I was just saying you could always just repaint the ones you were going to replace, no extra money needed :) Then buy super cheap blanks to just practice and get better at painting.

I know very little about blanks, only been in the game for about 3-4 months. But i choose to go with the carving and crafting from wood just as a fun hobby. I bought the cheapest blanks I could find on Amazon to practice painting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bockscar said:

I am just a hobby builder/painter, so I can be more picky than people who are buying to repaint and sell.  Problems with knock off plastic blanks, for me, have included leaks at hook hangers, cracked bills, and blanks that were supposed to float that sank.  I think the quality control for commercial baits is better, so there is a much better chance their baits will work, right of the package.  Some plastic blank suppliers have better quality control, some worse.  So it's more of a crap shot if you buy from a supplier who doesn't have good quality control, and some have a higher percentage of blanks with problems.  You won't get that with commercial baits.  Their blanks are pretty close to 100% good.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mark poulson said:

I am just a hobby builder/painter, so I can be more picky than people who are buying to repaint and sell.  Problems with knock off plastic blanks, for me, have included leaks at hook hangers, cracked bills, and blanks that were supposed to float that sank.  I think the quality control for commercial baits is better, so there is a much better chance their baits will work, right of the package.  Some plastic blank suppliers have better quality control, some worse.  So it's more of a crap shot if you buy from a supplier who doesn't have good quality control, and some have a higher percentage of blanks with problems.  You won't get that with commercial baits.  Their blanks are pretty close to 100% good.

I have a 1.5 from a lower end supplier (not gonna name them since the rest look good) that has an issue at the hook hanger eye. Seems like testing them before you start painting is best practice? I think I saw one maker testing them with a pressure cooker or something like that....but not sure I can pull that off. 

Thinking maybe swim test them in a tub and maybe leave them submerged overnight or 24-48 hours to see if any water leaks in? any tips to try and avoid bad blanks?

Bockscar - I have never bought a knock off blank, come to think of it, I have never bought a crank either. But, testing should not be that difficult. All you have to do is increase the pressure inside the lure so that the air blows out from any faults rather than being sucked in.

Submerge lure in a cup of warm tap water. The heat will expand the air inside the lure body, and will seep out of any holes. Mark the hole and repair.

Start with a lure that you know has a problem and experiment with the water temperature.

Dave

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:05 AM, Chonch12 said:

Yup understand where you are coming from that buying new and repainting is too expensive. I was going by when you said

"I always just planned to get good enough to paint some patterns that match the hatch at my lake...and buy the "expensive" blanks and replace my  current collection with my custom painted blanks. "

replacing your current collection with blanks custom painted, I was just saying you could always just repaint the ones you were going to replace, no extra money needed :) Then buy super cheap blanks to just practice and get better at painting.

I know very little about blanks, only been in the game for about 3-4 months. But i choose to go with the carving and crafting from wood just as a fun hobby. I bought the cheapest blanks I could find on Amazon to practice painting.

I too am building and painting my own as a hobby. You can get craft woods like poplar from Home Depot for relatively cheap and make your own shapes. Styles colors whatever. I too don’t have a lot of extra income. Just slowly building up with things I want. I’ll mass epoxy what I build this winter in a month or 2.  But with poplar or balsa. You can find balsa at michaels probably. A good nice and sand paper can go a long way here then epoxy to seal.  I seal mine with a white stain/sealer first. 

as a note pine sucks if your doing a lot of this by hand. The hard and soft grain takes a lot of work to get right. 

It here’s 2 I made. Doesn’t take to long. Mostly waiting for the sealers to dry. The 1st one I literally painted over aluminum foil and googley eyes haha. Worked though.The 2nd one I painted them. 

12BB17E7-3229-4413-AA91-93F613A1DDBE.thumb.jpeg.91aa8293a4cbd58a36fe08c7f0d316bc.jpeg5C9A5579-E0CA-4E12-84AC-C5EA26651090.thumb.jpeg.860086bb699d7dd59a4ddf6a397c0e80.jpeg3A5D42CC-3FEC-4858-9F30-48F690BDDF28.thumb.jpeg.26b2c89fb2795f2714594c398c931390.jpeg5A4539CE-22E0-4BFB-8E5D-97AEE76E88B6.thumb.jpeg.2dc1416587d1adf4fb8485a739539591.jpegF32F192D-17DC-4E92-B512-87BD0FE40B4B.thumb.jpeg.1f9eb9d5c107849c71837b21c84b400a.jpeg9108AE40-6B1D-4D59-9043-D5F42F16212D.thumb.jpeg.8f03ccd59bdb08c1c63123aa0f93eb5e.jpeg293767EC-2F05-492A-8643-3D323E4D7C7E.thumb.jpeg.a426bf6f8b9668276bc14c5371396ff7.jpeg

A62A2ED0-35D4-42F5-A032-E7585F9C3120.jpeg

FF6E2BD0-65EF-4ADF-92C6-3ECAD8D8D0FF.jpeg

D22CBBDE-67B5-4494-9D4F-7AEA1F488D46.jpeg

Edited by Dustinmul