DiscoDave

Making Own Colorant..

i have seen a lot of posts talking about using pigment powders recently and was just wondering if anybody has made their own liquid colorant/dye while using these powders??

if so what did you mix the powder with (specifically which oil)?? i have seen some post about linseed oil and other vegetable oils but im not sure how they will turn out.

i have the pigment powders but i want to be able to use them as drops like normal colorant instead of quantities of the powder. 

thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, DiscoDave said:

i have seen a lot of posts talking about using pigment powders recently and was just wondering if anybody has made their own liquid colorant/dye while using these powders??

if so what did you mix the powder with (specifically which oil)?? i have seen some post about linseed oil and other vegetable oils but im not sure how they will turn out.

i have the pigment powders but i want to be able to use them as drops like normal colorant instead of quantities of the powder. 

thanks in advance.

I for one am gonna follow this topic. Thanks for asking it. Sorry I couldn’t be of help! 

You can mix the powders with worm oil but you will run into the issue of the powder settling out pretty damn hard. Several suppliers do this now. The best colourants available like those from Spike It/Lureworks, the pigments are milled, basically smashed into a paste between 2 rollers before they are mixed into a useable liquid colourant, so you won't generally see much settling in them. 

• Like 1

I usually put pigments in powder directly in the plastisol before heating it; to be repetitive in your recipes you should weigh powder and compare it to the volume of used plastisol (ex. 1 g to 100 ml).

Powder pigments can be mixed between themselves and with normal liquid PVC colorants, too.

Here you are a French tutorial http://breizhbaits.com/WordPress3/tutoriel-fabriquer-ses-leurres-fluorescents-avec-les-pigments-true-color-pigment-fluo/

Powder pigments, as mass colorant, are really funny, but you can use them also as paint: 50% PVC glue (ex. for PVC pipes) + 50% MEK + powder pigment and you have to apply speedily it over the skin of soft bait.

Bye

Cami

• Thanks 1