dv616

How to get baits to “shimmy” on the fall

Is there a way to ensure that a jerkbait will shimmy on the drop?  I know a weighted hook will usually do it,  but I would like to get unweighted stuff to do it consistently.  It seems like EWG hooks do it more than my VMC screw lock hooks.  I think the VMC’s are a little too front heavy to make it work. 

I tried to accomplish different "shimmy" actions via different blends of plastisol but because of the configuration there isn't enough density of material to make a noticeable difference.  Personally I take 10 penny nails and cut the head off and insert in the bait.  Depending on where I can get to swim in a circle or fall backwards on a dead stick.

• Like 2

First you have to understand what causes shimmy; a phenomenon called 'vortex shedding'. These are vortices that form around the falling object and alternate from one side to the other.

Unfortunately, there is a minimum speed before the alternating vortices start. I can't give you any numbers, sorry. But, I can say that a wide, flat worm will start slower than a round worm.

To demonstrate, drop a ball bearing or a metal rod into a bucket of water and it drops straight to the bottom. Repeat using a coin and you will see the difference.

Dave

• Like 1

I had a stone mold of a shad impact that would shimmy on the fall.  But, I got rid of it because it always had a bubble right at the nose.  It was one of the first molds I tried and it shimmied.  No other jerkbaits have that I have made.  So, I bought that mold again.  No shimmy so far.  Same plastic.  I think I need to play around with hooks.  I could try adding the HD sinking additive too.

A flat belly, and raising the ballast partly about the centerline of the bait,  were the keys for getting my spybaits to shimmy on the way down.  Maybe that was from alternating vortices.

I use VMC weighted hooks on my paddle tail swimbaits, which have a rounded belly, and they rock side to side on the retrieve, but they don't seem to shimmy on the fall.  Maybe a swimbait with a flat bottom would shimmy.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

One of those things you need to dial in.  As mentioned hook selection will play a roll and bait shape.  Any shaped bait can get the action but symmetrical baits always easier.    French fries were some of the first baits we would weight and get to shimmy on the fall.  Well exaggerated shimmy more of flutter.      I find plastic softness to be critical as takes a lot less forces to get the bait to move and the longer  senkos about the easiest to get moving.  I just play around with adding more softener to the the baits but then you really end up with one and done baits (if that matters).  

One of those baits I don't pull out to frequently as would rather find more active fish but that doesn't always happen.

• Like 2

In concert with Vodkaman’s thought processes and shared methodologies, I would also suggest ensuring any salt added into your plastic mix is well suspended....both before shooting and once in the mold. Shooting cooler may aid your efforts. 

That said, I’m actually purposefully shooting some laminate worms, with one side heavily salted...the other not so much or at all.  

The plan is to create a “directionally weighted” bait I can fish sans sinker, hook wacky or TX with the salted side facing various directions to induce action accordingly. 

• Like 1